Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This is what learning looks like

This is what learning looks like

I don't know about you but sometimes I get frustrated when I try my hand at something new and I'm not magically good at it. Especially since I've been quilting for 10 years or so. But I'm a newbie to FMQ and this is what starting at the beginning looks like:

Name:  20190330_070910.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  341.6 KB

As I was going along I decide the first thing I need to master is consistent distance when echoing. Or, for me, keeping my eyes where they need to be instead of staring at the pretty needle. I managed something decent:

Name:  20190330_070939.jpg
Views: 2636
Size:  437.1 KB

I take my victories where I can. And as I practice I create mini quilts to donate to the animal shelter.

I'm about 5 hours into the 10,000 hours for mastery. Gotta start somewhere right?

Right! And you're doing a fine job. I'm still working on it. I find it to be very very very different from hand quilting!

Power Poster
    ​Looking good! I am loving my machine quilting with rulers on my Bernina. It has a learning curve too but so fun!

Your thread is an encouragement as I look at the queen size quilt laying on my sewing table ready to be quilted Today. I want to FMQ.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-30-2019 at 05:05 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Your FMQ is progressing and although you might see the oops, others don't or don't care about them. My FMQ is at the scribbling stage, and I struggle with "Why would I want to scribble all over my lovely quilt?". So you are miles ahead of me!

Before I started quilting, I received a quilt from a friend who is an accomplished quilter. I was surprised to discover after I started quilting that this quilt is not perfect. This beautiful quilt is a reminder to me, that everyone is still learning our craft. We need to celebrate our achievements and learn from them.
    Last edited by my-ty; 03-30-2019 at 05:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    you are doing great
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Looking good! I am loving my machine quilting with rulers on my Bernina. It has a learning curve too but so fun!
    I bought some rulers and figured out very quick that I need to learn how to FMQ first. Trying to learn how to move the quilt while holding the rulers to the quilt AND against the ruler foot? Nope. Too much too soon. So the rulers are in my box until I'm more comfortable. :-(

Thanks everyone. @my-ty - I don't want to "scribble" on my quilts either. That's why I'm doing mini ones that I'll donate. I'm OK to practice but I put in soooo much effort on my quilts, I don't want to "ruin" them.

I too get amazed at how a quilt that looks absolutely perfect and was done by a master, can still have "imperfections" when you look up close. I think we're too used to factory made products and we forget that such "flaws" can actually make something more beautiful.

Hey, we all have to start somewhere. I never could master FMQ on my domestic machine, so.... to you for keeping at it. Great job.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

I think it looks great and I give you credit for trying something new. I really have no desire to FMQ.

I think you did awesome!

Do not be too harsh with yourself. This is ten times better than I could do.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

That looks great! I have a hard time keeping swirly lines even.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    The first step in anything is to start and you've done that. Now practice makes perfect. Perfect doesn't mean perfect to everyone, just perfect to you. You'll never be perfect to everyone, in anything. Great job at getting started
    Judy

Wow...this is really good for a newbie. I'm impressed! Your stitch lengths look great. That's a hard part for me...still learning too.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Quote Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
    Your FMQ is progressing and although you might see the oops, others don't or don't care about them. My FMQ is at the scribbling stage, and I struggle with "Why would I want to scribble all over my lovely quilt?". So you are miles ahead of me!

Before I started quilting, I received a quilt from a friend who is an accomplished quilter. I was surprised to discover after I started quilting that this quilt is not perfect. This beautiful quilt is a reminder to me, that everyone is still learning our craft. We need to celebrate our achievements and learn from them.
    Hit the nail square on the its head. We expect more of ourselves than others do. No way will I ever be able to do what comes naturally to others but that doesn't prevent me from trying and keep improving on what I can do. You're doing a great job so just keep on truckin'.

This thread is also encouraging to me. I think your FMQ looks great! 👍

I love your first FMQ and think you've done a great job. I so want to learn to do it but it seems like (since I don't have a stitch regulator on my machine) every time I try to FMQ the back is Full of eyelashes. I'm having such a hard time remembering to keep the speed of the quilt & speed of the needle consistent. I think that is a big factor in creating those eyelashes. I also have a hard time breathing during the FMQ & also I forget that I can Stop anytime I need to (before I get into a jam that I can't get out of). Angela Walters is a good one to go to for tips things like consistency in echoing, etc. Keep up the good work. From the looks of things you will have it mastered in no time.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-30-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I think you're doing great! I would like to try my hand at fmq but I need something small to start on. I'm currently piecing a queen sized bargello and I keep telling myself not to touch anything else thing until I'm done! You did great work for a newbie and I hope I can do as well.
    A man only has the right to look down at another when he helps him to lift himself up. - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Linda

I breathe but stick my tongue out like a little kid. As for speed, I reduced my speed to half and then maximum pedal. All the back stitching is because I keep getting into places I can't get out of. :-) I figure that's ok, I'll learn to get good at that too.

I'm using leftover fabric and making mini quilts. I'm not even binding them in the traditional way. I leave extra fabric on top and foldover. Not pretty but quick. I'm donating the results to an animal shelter/pound for the critters to have something comfy to lay on. If they get ruined - no big deal. Hopefully soon I'll be ready to practice on my bigger pieces. I am comfortable with stippling though and that's what I'll use on my current project.

Spirals were the hardest thing for me to do. I still have trouble with them, so good for you on the results you're getting already.
    Jamie Wallen says to pick one motif and practice it for 30-40 minutes without switching to anything else. That seems to be the advice you're following already.

Watson

Good results. When I do FMQ I just move the way I want. I don't try any pattern. I have done 300 or more quilts and am disgusted I am not better at it than I am. Some of my older quilts look better than the newer ones. I donate most of my quilts now and the kids don't care.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Looks great to me! Better than my free motion!

Blog Entries
    Wow! I'm impressed! You've started so well and will only gain confidence and skill. I'll bet you'll be amazed at the complicated designs you'll be making in no time at all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast