Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Quilt Block

  1. #1
    JJC
    JJC is offline
    Senior Member JJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    497

    Quilt Block

    I made this sample block this afternoon. It is a block using a 5" square consisting of five squares with one square sandwiched in between and consisting of only three seams. You could use any size square depending on how big you would like to make it. Perhaps many of you have made this block. You can leave it plain or roll the edges over and hand stitch and/or machine stitch to make it look like a cathedral quilt block. This is what I did, I rolled the edges over and machine stitched it down using my edge foot which worked very nicely. I think I will make this quilt block using a lot of my stash fabric to make different colored cathedrals against a white printed background for the four squares and make them for my two granddaughters and then have the quilts professionally machine quilted. It is very easy to do. Would love to see your quilts using this method. I'm sure there are some out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JJC; 09-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    JJC
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyJJs
    Have a wonderful day!

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,269
    Lovely block, can't wait to see it finished. Love the colors you picked out.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island ,Fl.
    Posts
    997
    Yes very pretty 10 min. block. have made a few. joyce j

  4. #4
    Power Poster Diane007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    12,424
    Blog Entries
    1
    nice block....

  5. #5
    Super Member Raggiemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,604
    Very pretty neutral colors.
    Heather

  6. #6
    Super Member cindy4857's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phillips Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,492
    nice block. I love the 10 min quilt block it works up quickly with such nice results.
    Cindy

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    30,790
    I have not done a 10 minute blk quilt but there are several on QB. Have you seen the Youtube tutorial on the 5 minute blocks? Basically it is half of the 10 minute block but it makes a really cute scalloped border design. If you look under tutorials on QB, you will find a 11 minute block that someone posted. It is very cute with an extra step to make a flower block with the 3 D center.

  8. #8
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    44,284
    Blog Entries
    45
    nicely done... it's still on my list to do
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?


  9. #9
    Senior Member BettyJean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by cjackaitlin View Post
    Lovely block, can't wait to see it finished. Love the colors you picked out.
    Same here!
    Drifter

  10. #10
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    VIRGINIA
    Posts
    22,678
    very nice!!!!
    QUILTNMO

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Eastern Kansas
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    I made this sample block this afternoon. It is a block using a 5" square consisting of five squares with one square sandwiched in between and consisting of only three seams. You could use any size square depending on how big you would like to make it. Perhaps many of you have made this block. You can leave it plain or roll the edges over and hand stitch and/or machine stitch to make it look like a cathedral quilt block. This is what I did, I rolled the edges over and machine stitched it down using my edge foot which worked very nicely. I think I will make this quilt block using a lot of my stash fabric to make different colored cathedrals against a white printed background for the four squares and make them for my two granddaughters and then have the quilts professionally machine quilted. It is very easy to do. Would love to see your quilts using this method. I'm sure there are some out there.
    I love your 10 minute Block and the colors you used. I had just finished my quilt. I showed it to a long arm quilter. What she saw kind of surprised me. She said that a long armer would not like the loose edge of the center square as the foot would catch on the loose edge. I told her that I had planned on curving up the edge and stitch it down. I was just proud of the quilt. She did not critize the quilt just a hazard for the quilter and the quilt if the long arm caught on the loose edge.

  12. #12
    Super Member Helen S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington State
    Posts
    2,110
    I like your fabrics. I just finished this one last week! The 10-minute block...

    Name:  10-minute-block-8-29-12 001.JPG
Views: 425
Size:  256.5 KB
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

  13. #13
    Super Member Chris Anders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pleasant Hill, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,273
    Blog Entries
    2
    Very pretty ! Will look so good in a cathedral quilt.
    Have a Blessed & Prosperous Day !
    Chris.


  14. #14
    JJC
    JJC is offline
    Senior Member JJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    497
    Love your quilt for the 10 minute block variation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
    I like your fabrics. I just finished this one last week! The 10-minute block...

    Name:  10-minute-block-8-29-12 001.JPG
Views: 425
Size:  256.5 KB
    JJC
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyJJs
    Have a wonderful day!

  15. #15
    Super Member dcquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,114
    I like your block! I made a wallhanging using this method a few years ago, but back then we called it 3 dimensional Bow Ties. You can see it here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t172013.html

  16. #16
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    13,130
    It looks wonderful!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.