Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
The Quilt that Jenny will Never Get >

The Quilt that Jenny will Never Get

The Quilt that Jenny will Never Get

Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 AM

Things to think about: Jenny has never seen the pattern you are working from. Jenny doesn't quilt. She just might love it to death because it is her favorite color and you made it just for her. I've read a lot of posts on this board from people who hated the quilt until it was done - then discovered that it did become one of their favorites.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 AM
MTS
Banned

Whenever I try something and it doesn't work (and it happens often), I always go back to the original inspiration to figure out why that one DID work. And then go from there.

I think in this case it's a value issue (but then I always do ;-) )

The values in the jewel tone are pretty much the same, with a bit of a pop here and there, so the eye is trying to find a pattern - and I immediately see the Stars popping out. Of course, that could be because I'm genetically predisposed to see it. ;-)

That design, should Jenny actually see it, would resonate, especially considering the occasion.

On your rendition, the values are all over the place. You do have clearly distinct dark and lights. And so since you didn't really work to place them so they create that star pattern, it looks.....well, the eye is trying to identify a pattern or rhythm, and can't find it.

That said, I don't think I would like it with the pattern so easily defined in lights and darks. That's what make the jewel one so special.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 AM

MTS, you're right on.

As for those suggesting I just finish it anyway and donate it, here's the thing: I can find absolutely NO inspiration or motivation to work on something that I really dislike. The only time I come close to being able to do that is if I've gone so far (as in my Lone Star Gone Wrong quilt) that I can't bear NOT to finish it. But I'm not far enough along on this one. I can use the remaining fabric for other things, but I don't know what to do with the diamonds already pieced. I'm setting them aside for now.

I still may do this design-- it's a very easy quilt to make-- but actually do something I rarely do: SELECT fabrics for it ahead of time... And that means it's going to have to wait because I have no $$ for new fabric right now (despite my periodic forays into ebay and the classifieds board here...)

Thanks for listening, everyone. I appreciate ALL comments and suggestions, even the ones I don't intend to take. ;-)

-- Jillaine
Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 AM
MTS
Banned

Yikes. My bad. I didn't even realize that you were the OP.

And I totally understand about not being inspired.

Someone posted last week (?) that they wanted to put up their unfinished projects for adoption. I think they had takers on all the projects.
I, too, am thinking of going that route. Because now they're just in a box taunting me.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Huh? What's an OP?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:08 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by jillaine
Originally Posted by MTS
Huh? What's an OP?
original poster or original post. ;-)
I usually capitalize if it's the person I'm referring to but I'm don't know if that's the "official" rule.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:11 AM

So why "my bad"? Your input was particularly helpful; in particular:

a) go back to the original inspiration and compare
b) check values

not sure what was "bad"?

Or are you referring to some other protocol that escapes me? ;-)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM

I wonder how it would look as a 6 point star. I do a lot of hand quilting and I love stars. I would try to save them. Sometimes ideas will come to you later. Lots of good ideas here.Fayz
Old 04-12-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by FayZ
I wonder how it would look as a 6 point star. I do a lot of hand quilting and I love stars. I would try to save them. Sometimes ideas will come to you later. Lots of good ideas here.Fayz
Fayz, I'll play with that idea. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by FayZ
Fayz beat me to it! I would try laying them out with the points together to see what that would look like. the stripes will form a hexagon. Might be interesting...