Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilt kit dilemma

Quilt kit dilemma

Does anyone else here hesitate to make quilts from kits, because you want your projects to be unique?

This was a quilt kit I picked up from MSQC on clearance at the end of last year..... mainly because I was smitten with the fabric you see in the border. I didn’t intend on making the pattern from the kit because I wanted to put my own spin on it. After struggling to come up with an idea with the fabric on hand I gave in and made the kit pattern. I am happy I did, even my quilting turned out not too bad! I can see this pattern becoming a go to when I need something in a pinch, as it is easy and quick.

MsQC calls it 9-patch and hour glass but I was wondering if this block combination has a more traditional name?

This one is destined for my father in law and his partner.

Name:  762FAEA5-739D-481A-956F-F73AB60AF0D4.jpeg
Views: 2498
Size:  820.8 KBName:  20B4FB92-F836-4350-B3E4-D62599013D79.jpeg
Views: 2493
Size:  1.23 MB

Oooo, that's a beauty!!
    The only time I buy kits is when I want exactly what I see in the photo but I see no reason not to change it up if you want to.

Blog Entries
    that is a beautiful quilt... glad you did the kit
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I made one quilt from a kit. I enjoyed doing it and love the quilt I made. It was nice to have the decisions made for me. I see little difference between buying a kit and buying a pattern (or magazine) and making it according to the specifications. Some people like to buy matched collections of fabric to use in a quilt in the future because they like the combination. Some quilters like kits, specific instructions, etc to avoid feelings of being overwhelmed by too many choices. Comfort levels are so different.

Power Poster
    ​Great quilt and quilting!

I'm not very proficient but I made a quilt from a kit once and it turned out to be one of my best attempts.
    Sometimes it's just hard figuring out what fabrics, what pattern, and in my case, if I have enough after buying fabrics with no pattern in mind. Each kit quilt turns out different because of the arrangement of the colors and the quilting you choose. Yours turned out very Nice!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-05-2019 at 04:55 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    I have never done a kit or even purchased or given one so I can't answer to your statement. But I can see that your quilt is gorgeous!

It’s a beautiful quilt. I buy lots of kits, and usually end up making the quilt differently than the original. The pattern in the kit is the starting point, then I substitute some of the fabrics and/or re-design the layout.
    Lori

I won a quilt kit and that is the only kit that I have done. I was very happy with the out come. I did sub one of the border fabrics. I did enjoy working on the kit and having all of the fabric set up for me. I don't know about the pattern you have, but I can say that the kit that I worked on I felt the same way. Like I had seen the pattern before but called by a different name.

Beautiful quilt and so nicely done. Great pattern for your fabrics.

I think put together like that it is close to a Steps to the Altar quilt block, maybe that is what you are seeing? Other possibilities too.

Regardless of kit or original design, I think it's lovely and your workmanship and quilting look gorgeous. And who knows, if you were just gifted with the fabric on its own you might have come up with something very similar

I can see why you purchased the kit originally. It's really pretty, and the fabrics work so well together. Nicely done.

Blog Entries
    I used to love JoAnns BOM. I was able to save up money monthly, then buy the block with the instructions. Fabrics always coordinated beautiful. It was never overwhelming.

I love that combo of blocks. Its very pretty

I love those colors. I would have bought that kit in a New York second.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love the quilt and the quilting is super. Brendak
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I buy kits all the time and make according to the pattern. Love them as it takes the pressure of shopping for just the right fabrics off of me. I have always had enough fabric, & in many times enough to make a baby quilt with the scraps. Most of mine were purchased on sale and great for gifting. I have also bought kits on sale just for the fabric selection and use my own pattern.

Nice quilt. Kits sound like the way to go. I don't like all this stash accumulation I have done.
    Carol

Lovely quilting! The kitted quilt is cute made up. I have only bought one kit and i made the pattern. I have so much yardage I am working through my stash making gifts and donation quilts.

I buy kits for several reasons - for the price, fabric, or pattern. Sometimes buying a kit on clearance is a lot cheaper than buying fabrics separately. I have several on hand, but have only made one and I liked that someone else made the color choices for me because tone, value, color are not my strength.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    When you make it from a kit, yes, thee will be others out thee exactly like yours. But, what are the chances that you will ever see one of those? You made it, so it is still your quilt! BTW, that looks great!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-07-2019 at 07:19 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I have made three quilts from kits. I prefer to cut my own pieces from the kits. The tumbler I made was pre-cut. Some pieces were not as perfect as the rest so I ended up getting rid of the not so perfect. Luckily there were enough to finish the quilt. I bound it in my own fabric stash because it didn’t come with finishing fabric.

pal
    Wow! your quilting is amazing!
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

It turned out beautifully. My Daughter bought me a quilt kit several years ago. I made it according to pattern. They were very generous with the fabric. I would only buy a kit if I liked everything about it. I would always follow the pattern.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

You did an awesome job and I hope to make this in the near future!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast