Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A quilt made on a Vintage Singer >

A quilt made on a Vintage Singer

A quilt made on a Vintage Singer

Old 06-26-2011, 05:17 PM

Beautiful, I love piecing on Vintage machines too.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:43 PM

I love those colors!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Muv, I just watched your three vids. Your voice is totally charming! as a drawling midwesterner in USA, I just love your precise clipped syllables.

Adorable machines, too! There is a shiny plate on the singer, and we see (farve, I presume) get up, let you pass between him & the camera when you move from the left of the machine to the right and back again. (emphasizing your comment on small houses).

My house was built in 1911 and is 925 sq feet. When I see pics of quilts spread out on big open floors, I just look around & scratch my head. Exactly like you said, where do I put the furniture while I do that? LOL!!!

Oh, and beautiful quilt!!!

I always wondered about sewing on a handcrank, as it takes both hands to manage feeding fabric into my 1950's singer. (not in a cabinet).

But, as I watched you manipulate the flywheels on both machines, I noticed there is a difference. As they are not electric, and also heavy, the machine just sits there, you dont have the fibration one has with the electrics, so managing the fabric onehanded looks like it would be more do-able.

I hope you post a pic of sewing in action. :-D
Old 06-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Muv

Hello Quiltmouse, so glad you enjoyed the videos. I can't wait to tell Farve that you spotted him in the reflection. What makes me laugh is being able to see his glasses case in his shirt pocket, and also when he starts using his hand to tell me to hurry up - he should be glad I took it slowly and didn't kick the tripod.

Yes, the great beauty of the old hand machines is their weight. They don't start sliding around the table, which is the risk with a light modern machine.

At the moment I'm making a quilt top on a treadle. For me it feels strange to have two hands free, but I'm learning to put my right hand to good use rather than just wave it around looking for the handle.

Have a look at my German treadle on the thread Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Photos (page 8). Also you can see the back of a large curtain. I made that curtain on the Frister and Rossmann hand machine which is shown on page 6. The material was really heavy, but the machine is really solid and didn't budge an inch.

If you can get hold of a hand machine, just have a go! I've taught a little girl of 8 how to use an old hand machine. Watching a child happily using a machine made in 1893 is a delightful experience!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:36 AM

I think it's a beautiful quilt!! Those old Singers just never give up!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Banned

Muv that is a gorgeous German in the photos section!!!

Billy
Old 06-27-2011, 05:09 PM

Beautiful! I love the colors and the quilting! Great job :thumbup:
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM

How awesome is that!!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Muv

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Muv that is a gorgeous German in the photos section!!!

Billy
I had an idea you'd like it.

Have you seen the little quiz on the thread Mystery Vintage Machine? It's worth it for the beer.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Muv
Originally Posted by Lostn51
I love it and I knew you had to be in the UK because you did it on a 3/4 treadle. Those are extremely rare here in the US and if I could find one I would be tickled pink!

I think you did a wonderful job and I would love to have that peice of living history in my home any day!!

Billy
Gosh I'm confused now! No, it's a hand machine. I have got two treadles though - wait and see - the pictures will be posted soon enough!

I've been looking at all the pictures people are posting of their machines. I can't believe how few hand machines there are in the States. It seems to be all treadles and electrics. Anything that plugs in is too modern for me. In fact I find round bobbins a bit new and strange. I'm a long bobbin girl through and through.
I went to a gathering here in Northern CA, Gold County Mini TOGA, and the host had so many hand machines. There are folks here that have them and use some of them.