Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt for a painting >

Quilt for a painting

Quilt for a painting

Old 02-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Both are wonderful!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 AM

I've already started piecing a Brick Walk border and it occured to me as to how I will put the border on. I noticed on the photo of your quilt that the border appears to wrap around the corner very nicely. When adding the border, do you sew the sides on first or the top and bottom first. How did you make it all come out so well? Thanks so much for your help.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:09 AM

Very beautiful quilt! Great trade!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by jheinen
I've already started piecing a Brick Walk border and it occured to me as to how I will put the border on. I noticed on the photo of your quilt that the border appears to wrap around the corner very nicely. When adding the border, do you sew the sides on first or the top and bottom first. How did you make it all come out so well? Thanks so much for your help.
I'm embarrassed to say I just got lucky! When I started the log cabin I had a different border in mind, and then I thought of brick walk which I hadn't used in a while, and thought it would look good. So the fact that the measurements came out right was just dumb luck. I don't remember which I sewed on first, although I did use a 2" border around the outside of the log cabin, and around the outside edge of the brick walk, mainly just to make the quilt a little bigger, but it ended up framing the brick walk nicely.
However, the book that I got the pattern from-"More Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel" shows the pattern as a 12"block, with 2 strips of brick walk with a strip of fabric in between them, and the bottoms and tops of the brick walk strips are cut off- incomplete strips, in other words.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I have one other question. How wide are the strips in the log cabin and what size did you use for the center square? If I can use the same size blocks as you did, possibly I could luck out with the border coming out pretty even. Sorry to be such a pest abo
Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I have one other question. How wide are the strips in the log cabin and what size did you use for the center square? If I can use the same size blocks as you did, possibly I could luck out with the border coming out pretty even. Sorry to be such a pest abo
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Antdebby1
You both came out winners. :thumbup:
I agree. Both are beautiful!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 AM

Sorry for posting my message twice before finishing. It appears as though you made the blocks 6 wide and 6 down. Is this correct? I'm sure you've had moments when you wish you hadn't shown the quilt as I've had so many questions. I truly appreciate your help! I've looked for the Bonsteel book with no success. Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Sorry for posting my message twice before finishing. It appears as though you made the blocks 6 wide and 6 down. Is this correct? I'm sure you've had moments when you wish you hadn't shown the quilt as I've had so many questions. I truly appreciate your help! I've looked for the Bonsteel book with no success. Thanks again!
The strips are 1 1/2" wide, and the center squares are 2 1/2". Also, remember to cut the border "framing" strips 2 1/2".
"More Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel" is on Amazon for 6.99.
It's no trouble at all! I made this quilt from my stash, and just sort of made it up as I went along, so I had no idea so many people would want to make it too!
And, yes, 6 squares wide and 6 down.
I'm happy to answer any questions.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Also, I think I had to cut triangles to fit the outside corners of the borders.