Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quilt saved from garage sale >

Quilt saved from garage sale

Quilt saved from garage sale

Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 AM

Gld the quilts where shes appreciated! Im lucky my kids chrish the quilts i made! Too bad like jj sais its a disposible society! I knew a person. i gave him am expensive. feather comforter, their cat threw up on it, insta d of cleaning it he was going to throw it away! Luckily my son found out and rescued it and cleaned it! Another time i gave a friends child a winter hat i made- she looked at it and said " but I wanted something from the store!! " lol. wow!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 AM

A very nice quilt. Glad you saved it. Perhaps your grandchildren (after learning from you) will aprreciate it later. Glad you saved it to keep in the family. Perhaps you could put a label on it with the story of the maker.
My kids appreciate all of mine.
We have an award winning lady in our guild who donated a beautiful queen size quilt to our charity because no one in her family wanted it because it "didn't go" with their decor. The lady accepting it for the charity said even if her mother made an ugly quilt she would treasure it. Just goes to show.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 AM

WOW!! Is about all I can say.
I have had a very small amount of quilts gifted to me from my grandma and a few great aunts and the colors have NEVER mattered. I actually have one that my mother gave me when I got married that was made by my great aunt and I used it and washed it so much its pretty much falling apart and worthless but I still cannot bare to part with it. The great aunt that made it passed away 5 years ago I took care of it but kept it on the bed we sleep in and covered up with it every night for years so of course it was always washed on sheet day and put back on the bed. Maybe my great aunt would appreciate the fact it was used and very much enjoyed.
I think its great that you found it before it left your family.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 PM

I don't think it's just the 20's group...I think up until almost the 40's as well. Depends on how hoitie toitie the youngin's are. If they make very good money, don't be surprised, that this is not "good enuff" for them. doesn't show elegance, but someday they will realize when it's too late. I had a DIL like that. Didn't even take it out once in 10 years of their marriage! Broke my heart especially since it was a CA King! But here nor there now, all my nieces and nephews get a wedding quilt and they have been warned... I come over and it is a doggie blanket or laying in the garage or on the floor, I will be ungifting their gift and take it home with me!!!! And BELIEVE ME they know I am serious! I find many quilt tops, linens etc at sales and it breaks my heart. Someone has put in blood sweat and tears and it breaks my heart. WHEW!! can you tell I'm a bit bitter yet? sorry. You did the right thing and don't ever feel bad about it! I applaud you.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
It's a beautiful quilt. I'm glad you saved it.
One day when they are a little older, they'll realize what a treasure they had from someone who loved them & took the time to make such a special quilt.
ditto.......
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM

As a young person I sat on a hand pieced and hand quilted quilt on the sand at the beach. It belonged to my sis and bil and had been made as a wedding gift to them by his grandmother. I had no idea what it was until I got much older. Now I look back and wonder what was my sis and bil thinking of bring that beautiful quilt to the beach???? I often wonder what they did with it. I don't believe they would even remember it since it was so unimportant to them. I am so glad that you rescued that quilt. Only wish I would have been able to do the same.

Helen
Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM

It sounds like your DIL just didn't have a clue. But it also sounds like you two have a great relationship. I can see that your son didn't know the quilt was in the garage sale. You did the right thing to rescue the quilt. Your granddaughter will love it later. Especially if you teach her how to quilt. The quilt is beautiful and you can tell your great aunt made it with love.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
Oh for Heaven's Sake!! I am so glad that you saw it in the garage sale things! I am speechless!
I agree with all the other posts!!!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM

Sadly too many young people do not appreciate the time, effort, and love that goes into a handmade gift. They are from a "buy another at Walmart world". I go to yard sales and garage sale all the time and often I find wonderful handmade baby quilts with lovely labels, crocheted baby blankets, and other gifts made with love being sold for a dollar or two. I rescue them as well, so I am very happy you were able to rescue a family heirloom.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM

These young kids make me so upset. They don't have any idea what is going on in this world. I sent a quilt i made a yr ago to my granddaughter and never even got a thank you. I wonder where it went to. So Sad, I am glad you saw it. Glad you saved it.