Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt saved from garage sale

Blog Entries
    Auntie would be thrilled that you have it. Enjoy!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Ducky,
    I think it was meant to be, that you were there & found that lovely hand made quilt from your Aunt!! :D Maybe in the years to come, when they grow up, they will realize how wrong it was to get rid of such a precious heirloom.

The quilt I posted today, from my Mother, just makes me feel warm & fuzzy all over. She is 85 & still sewing quilts faster than I can!! :D Please pet your new treasure one time for me!!
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Like you, I'm just speechless. I just don't understand how anyone can not feel the family value of something like this, regardless of whether they "don't like the colors" or whatever. Glad you rescued it!
    Ducky

As Eddie has stated above I feel exactly the same - to be honest it brought a tear to my eye reading your thread.
    I can't understand how some people have no value whatsoever for all the love & thought that goes into making something so wonderful regardless of what the item is.
    Makes me think now just who I am giving my quilts to - ummm.

Tisha

Blog Entries
    Good for you!!! I am so glad that you saved this beauty!!! I love the border on it, too!!! :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    I'm glad you saved it. It is so beautiful. Maybe when your GD is older She would like it for her own.

I"m glad you rescued it! I love it.

This story is exactly why I changed my mind about giving my DH's nephew a quilt as a wedding gift. It would have killed me to know that they had basically trashed it.

Keep it for your granddaughter. She will appreciate that you kept it.

Good for you and I love it.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Ducky, your aunt must have been looking out for the quilt. I am so glad you were there to rescue it. She made sure you were in the right place at the right time. :D :D

I am glad you rescued this wonderful quilt. You can tell it was done in love and in very good taste.

WOW - again those who do not quilt do not understand, do they?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Oh Ducky I'm so glad you spotted it! Some ppl!!!! :evil:

It's a lovely idea to put a label on it with it's history and then pass it on to your GD - hopefully she'll grow into the kind of person who'll appreciate such a thing - she must do if Granny has anything to do with it! :D

BTW I also think it's beautiful in its own right, even without the sentimental value - there really is no accounting for taste. :shock:

Banned
    speechless? i'd have been spiting nails :x thank god you saw it before it was too late..

How sad is that, that she has no appreciation of this quilt. I'm so glad you rescued it. The stitching is wonderful, the border is amazing. It's really sad that they were just going to sell it for $10.

Another example of " people who don't do, don't understand". I'm glad that you resecued it. I can send my addie! I would appreciate it!

I'm glad you saved Aunt Gertrude's lovely quilt, it's too bad the DIL didn't appreciate it, but very lucky for you that you saw it. Beautiful!!

I am so glad you were there to keep the quilt in the family. That quilt was made with love.

I have a SIL like that. She sold all the cross stitching mom did for them. That my brother asked for, I might add. Needless to say mom was hurt. Ok, so maybe they didn't go with the way she wanted to decorate. She could have saved them for her kids. They might like to have something that grandma made.

Sorry for ranting. :oops:

Whenever I ask the kids if they know were the quilts are that I made them. My brother very quickly says yes. :lol:

I just can't believe someone would like would part with a treasure like that. I'm glad you were there to save it.

Glad you found your aunt's quilt before the sale.
    Your Aunt is surely smiling now that it's in a place to be treasured like it should have been.
    Some people don't realize the work & love that goes into a quilt!! :evil:

All I can say is thank goodness you saved this! I know when we gift a quilt we have to let it go but when I think about all the time, effort and, yes, love I put into a quilt when I am making it for someone the thought that it would end up in a trash heap, sallies (goodwill), or garage sale never even occurs to me when I am making it. Quite frankly, if it did I probably would never make another gift quilt and just keep them all myself.

Additionally, when I am making a gift quilt for someone the recipient is on my mind through the entire process, from picking a pattern and fabrics to that final stitch made on the label and I constantly think, oh I hope they like this as much as I. Every quilt I make for someone (mostly baby quilts) I think it can become a wallhanging later in life or I fantasize that it will become a family heirloom or a much loved "binkie" that will be worn out due to all the love and use it got.

So sad, but I am glad you spotted it and saved it. I think it is a great quilt.

Wow - it's just beautiful. That border is just lovely - and so are all those tiny hand stiches! And here I am, crying, remembering my Great Aunt Grace, whose quilted treasures were dumped at Goodwill before I could say anything about it. I miss her so much, and would have given a lot to have been able to keep something she made. I'm really happy you were able to rescue this lovely bowtie quilt from obscurity.

Some people just don't understand how much these things mean when we make them - and can't connect emotionally with quilts. (My sister confessed this past weekend she wishes she could "get it" but just doesn't.) I know, it's hard to fathom when you love quilting as much as we do.

I'm finishing up a baby quilt for my best friend and although I've never signed a quilt, I intend to this time. In fact, after your garage sale story, I may just do a little more than sign it, and put the story of its creation in the signature block on back. What I thought about as I made it, my hopes for the baby, why I chose the fabrics and stiches I did. Maybe if we put more background information, plain for non-quilters to see, on the quilts we give, they'll mean more and will be kept longer and with more respect.

This just breaks my heart! All that work, not appreciated. I am so glad you got there "in time"!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Like you, I'm just speechless. I just don't understand how anyone can not feel the family value of something like this, regardless of whether they "don't like the colors" or whatever. Glad you rescued it!
    At the very least, you would think, that when having a garage sale, that contained items, made by a person, and not just a 'manufactured clone of a thousand others", that the person would ask family, does anyone want this?
    I always ask my kids, if there is anything they want, when I have a box of charity stuff. I give decent stuff to our 'shop', but if it might be sentimental, family gets first dibs.
    So glad you rescued it...I bet you could hear, Auntie, sigh with relief, and the angels smiled at each other :D

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Congratulations on the saving of the family quilt. It's a lovely memorial item.
    People who do not sew cannot appreciate hand quilting. For a simple reason. When you can purchase a 'quilt' from Walmart for $29.99 and for all intent and purpose it looks like the same thing - it's hard for a non quilter to understand the unique love we have for quilts which are made by us or even understand the whys for the amount of time spent creating something like this.
    Ducky, what I would hope I'd do. Keep it quite, no need to further bring attention to your son about it. Whenever possible I'd place the quilt in a prominent place to be shown proudly for ANYONE who entered my home. It's a move to keep the verbal peace but expressing dissatisfaction of an event you found disturbing and if something from the other side should say something about your placement; it's one that cannot be said you made a big deal out of nothing by allowing you to be equally as ignorant of 'WHY' you placed the quilt so prominently displayed, you remember your Aunt and the love you had for her!

So glad that you were there to save the quilt. I have stressed to my kids the value of such things and they all get it but you know, I think that there are people who don't understand how much time and effort are put into a quilt. And in this case the obvious love that went into it for the lady in her 80's to make it.

I guess try and teach your DIL but in the meantime don't be giving them any quilts.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast