Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
quilting help >

quilting help

quilting help

Old 09-26-2010, 04:04 PM

This is quilt number 3 for me - so I'm looking to you for help. This is the best constructed of my projects - I'm trainable - but is the weakest design. I didn't realize until it was all together how it looks when the solid block is the same fabric as part of the rail block. Yes, I saw it as I was sewing, but didn't realize how it would look when completed. My question is: Would it help to use a red zigzag stitch around each of the blocks when I quilt it? Would this define each block better? Then I could also quilt diagonally through the solid blocks - should that also be zigzag if the rest is? This is not a quilt that will get a lot of use - it's for a secret pal for our Christmas revealing party. It is 46X46 inches. The back is solid red - in the dark shade you see here - with a 5 inch strip of the green border fabric on each side since my red wasn't large enough.

My other two quilts I labored over the placement of each block. This time I thought I had a clear enough image in my head that ... I just sewed away. So ... THAT'S a lesson learned!
Okay - educate me and help me make the best of this, please!

a closer look at the Christmas fabric - Fruitcake/Moda for the body. Walmart for the borders.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104645[/ATTACH]

This side looks pretty good. Not sure the greens really match, but close...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104649[/ATTACH]

Here's the problem area.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104650[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-104640.jpe   attachment-104644.jpe   attachment-104645.jpe  
Old 09-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Let me tell you that your quilt is lovely. I would finish it off and present it with pride as tho it was just how you planned it to look. If you need a home for your quilt PM me and I'll send you my address. lol
Old 09-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Ah, I belong to the club of unexpected final results too! I think that you have just invented a new pattern, a rather refined and quiet one, so I would treat it as if the result was intentional. I definitely wouldn't zigzag around the block in red. I'm figuring that you are not referring to free motion quilting? If you don't free motion quilt, I suggest using a green thread to match your dominant colour and using a walking foot to quilt diagonally across the whole quilt in both directions, forming diamond shapes. I guess you could use your zigzag stitch or a sewn-out zigzag stitch for that.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:16 PM

I also agree with erstan947, I think it looks great and I wouldn't change a thing. I'm sure that who ever gets it will absolutely love it.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM

Your quilt is beautaiful, just quilt it and enjoy it. Each quilt we learn something.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM

The greens don't all have to match, it gives your quilt more interest. I like the way you have it laid out.
:thumbup: :D
Old 09-26-2010, 04:18 PM

I like it just the way it is! Very lovely!
Old 09-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Yes, I would be machine quilting it. For my first quilt I did the diagonal through the blocks that's been mentioned. For my second one I stitched in the ditch of each square and then went back and sewed a parallel line on each side of the seam. I really liked the way that looked on the back. So that's the only two things I've tried. The lovely lady who will get it will love it no matter what - no question there - I was just trying to make the blocks look like ... blocks. It won't get much use because it is Christmas themed - brought out once a year, I'm thinking. But if the consensus is go through the diagonals I'm happy with that.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:41 PM

I also would not zig zag. I think your quilt is beautiful and the way the greens mesh into eachother adds character! Just pretend you planned it that way :)
Old 09-26-2010, 04:47 PM

I agree, it is lovely the way it is. I think the diagonal quilting will help pull it all together. Oh to have a design wall and use it....