Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Quiltlet >

Quiltlet

Quiltlet

Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Hi, Tried to download pattern but couldn't Boo Hoo
Old 11-02-2007, 05:49 PM

Momidol,
There's not a pattern. I usually just type the adage into a word processing program, pick a pretty font and then print it out and trace it onto my fabric to embroider.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM

Yvonne - I just love your little quilt with the saying in the center. Hope you don't mind my asking. How did you do the writing? Do you do it by hand or on an embroidery machine? Your daughter is just going to love it to pieces. :)
Old 11-02-2007, 08:59 PM

The sayings I use are hand embroidered. I usually use perle cotton thread. I gave it to my daughter last summer and she did appreciate it very much. We're very close and it's hard having her on the other side of the country or, at times, on the other side of the world.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:51 AM

Do you hand embroider the words? Very Nice, Warm and fuzzy.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:53 AM

Rebecca,
The saying is hand embroidered. The rest is pieced. It's actually very small. I think it finished at about 12"X15" or something close to that.

As I posted earlier, I type the saying into a word program on the computer and then spend hours deciding of a font. Once the font is fixed there's the whole size issue. I want it big enough to embroider easily but not huge. Finally I print it out onto paper. The next step is to trace it onto fabric using a blue erasable pen. Then it's onto the embroidery and finally piecing.

It's a fun way to spend an afternoon or evening. When I was a little girl my mom and sisters and sometimes aunts used to spend summer afternoons sitting under the weeping willow doing handcrafts. I usually had a 'stitch-a-story' to work on. This is just a continuation of those lazy summer days! Who's sentimental?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 PM

Yvonne, Thanks for sharing that sentimental story from your childhood. My grandmother used to make rugs from fabric on a loom. I remember her letting me roll the fabric strips into balls and then letting me push the shuttle back and forth on the loom. I think that is when my love for fabric began ! Isn't it nice that we have memories we can look back on from time to time. :roll: