Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Really honest opinion? >

Really honest opinion?

Really honest opinion?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:18 AM

I like the first one best. The quilt is pretty traditonal as is the Baltimore Album block in the middle. The vase is fine. When you look at the vases on BA quilts you may find one you think works better.

I still love the first one and really don't see how you could improve on it. Go for it Pam.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 AM

I just had another thought. What about Uncle Sam or his hat in the center?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:44 AM

I love teddy bears; but the flowers win out with this one.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Originally Posted by k3n
I think, but I'm not sure that your eagle is actually a dove with the olive branch in his beak?
You've heard of a Turtle Dove? Well, this is an Eagle Dove. Top secret genetic experiment and my quilt is going to blow the whole thing wide open and expose it to the world!! :lol:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the curves of the vase versus the angular blocks. That's one reason I like it but, on the other hand it's a reason that it doesn't quite go.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pam if you like it, go for it! If YOU like it, it 'goes'!!! :D

I do prefer it to the star flower one - that's just not pretty enough somehow to be the centrepiece.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 PM

This is my first '2 cents' for this WONDERFUL quilt design. The 'softness' (i can't think of any other way to describe what I'm thinking) of the flower vase center is so completely different from the angles in the rest of the quilt that it doesn't look like it 'belongs' to me. I love it, especially with the 'star' flowers, so maybe you could add the non-angle soft element somewhere else to tie everything together.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:45 AM

I like the idea of the vase and the flowers. The stars and strips indicate the strenght of the men of our country, while the flowers symbolize the softer side of the women.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 AM

Pam, if the vase is an issue for you. This site has a baltimore album quilt with many vases of flowers, maybe this will give you an idea. I think it is beautiful as is.
http://www.artbma.org/educators/atg/pdf/ATG_2-08.pdf
Old 06-11-2009, 05:59 AM

I think the flowers add a great elegance and interest Pam. It makes the quilt have a true heritage feel. Di
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the link. I kind of like the one in the second row down, second from the left. It's flowers but more casual in a bunch. Also brings to mind a bunch of wheat stalks. But I like the flowers better.

I ordered two companion CDs for EQ... Classic Applique-Folk Art Blocks and Baltimore Album Blocks. It's a total of 360 block patterns so there ought to be the perfect one in there.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM

I went scrolling through quilt patterns trying to find an example of one that has square/triangle piecing with a center medalion of non-square to see how it looks.

I found this one, top left, called Heritage Bouquet. I swear I have never seen anything like this before!!! There is nothing new under the sun, is there?
http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...61&Parent_Ids=

And this one
http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...50&Parent_Ids=

And OMG... this one. Dang. And I thought I came up with something a little unique! At least I am not in bad company. :wink:
http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...84&Parent_Ids=

I am going to do the flowers because I like it. Might not be the exact one as my first choice after I get the CDs. I was limited in choices to the few in EQ when I chose that so I will see what else there is.