Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
In The Red and Orange Sundae (OBWs) >

In The Red and Orange Sundae (OBWs)

In The Red and Orange Sundae (OBWs)

Old 05-31-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee
Love both of your quilts and your feathers.

Would be interested to hear what you think of the "Cubed" book. I have "Ėncore" - does the newer one have something special to entice me?
Well I've just bought fabric specifically to make a new quilt incorporating interlocking cubes of different sizes as shown in examples (with directions and how to plan out) in the Cubed book. There are several other new concepts in there as well (like floating triangles, appliqued features, "incomplete" cubes) which for anyone who has already made one block wonder quilts, add even more interest and ideas. I think if you have enjoyed making them, and want to try more design paths, the Cubed book is a great addition to the quilting "library".
Old 05-31-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
wow, your feathers are great, too! I just can't seem to get the nerve to do them.
For anyone wanting to do the feathers, have a look at this link. This is a great (and very easy and relaxed) method - you won't look back!!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-36855-1.htm
Old 05-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Katrine
wow, your feathers are great, too! I just can't seem to get the nerve to do them.
For anyone wanting to do the feathers, have a look at this link. This is a great (and very easy and relaxed) method - you won't look back!!
I have the book, and practiced on my doll quilt for this month. Hmm, what can I say... I need more practice! LOL
Old 05-31-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I have the book, and practiced on my doll quilt for this month. Hmm, what can I say... I need more practice! LOL
Did you do lots of paper & pencil practice as well Gai? My hubby was hiding paper when I got the book!
Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Banned

Did you do lots of paper & pencil practice as well Gai? My hubby was hiding paper when I got the book!
I did some, but part of the problem is that I have trouble seeing where the previous stitches are, plus I don't write or draw in the same direction that I sew. I write > , but I sew ^. Oh well, I have plenty of tops to practice on! LOL
Old 06-02-2010, 04:01 AM

You should practice drawing them on either a dry erase board or paper. Thery really are easy. I'm the one who turned her on to this method - via the book 'Hooked on Feathers" by Sally Terry. They really are easy and feel flowy once you start and are comfortable with doing them.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deecee
Love both of your quilts and your feathers.

Would be interested to hear what you think of the "Cubed" book. I have "Ėncore" - does the newer one have something special to entice me?
Well I've just bought fabric specifically to make a new quilt incorporating interlocking cubes of different sizes as shown in examples (with directions and how to plan out) in the Cubed book. There are several other new concepts in there as well (like floating triangles, appliqued features, "incomplete" cubes) which for anyone who has already made one block wonder quilts, add even more interest and ideas. I think if you have enjoyed making them, and want to try more design paths, the Cubed book is a great addition to the quilting "library".
A future plan, in my head anyway, is to make a totally cubed quilt. No kaleidoscope blocks at all, just cubes. This book will help me accomplish doing that, I think. Now, as to when this happens - that's another story.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
I did some, but part of the problem is that I have trouble seeing where the previous stitches are, plus I don't write or draw in the same direction that I sew. I write > , but I sew ^. Oh well, I have plenty of tops to practice on! LOL
Try using a contrasting thread color to the fabric you are stitching on. That should make a huge difference in seeing where to touch the next point of the feather to the previous hump.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

A future plan, in my head anyway, is to make a totally cubed quilt. No kaleidoscope blocks at all, just cubes. This book will help me accomplish doing that, I think. Now, as to when this happens - that's another story.
I've already cut one - but then I got nothing else to do all day!
Old 06-02-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
I'm the one who turned her on to this method - via the book 'Hooked on Feathers" by Sally Terry. They really are easy and feel flowy once you start and are comfortable with doing them.
Um, you recommended the book - I "turned myself on" to the method.