Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
reversible quilt for my SIL >

reversible quilt for my SIL

reversible quilt for my SIL

Old 01-12-2016, 10:17 AM

What a gorgeous quilt and so creative on the back. What a precious memory you gave to her and her family!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:32 AM

I imagine that if you looked at it long enough you would find the mistakes but that is not the point of a quilt. It is totally beautiful and with the pictures on the back it is priceless. I know she will enjoy this quilt for a long time to come and I can almost see her spending lots of time reminiscing with the pictures. Good job.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

I love the quilt, you did an amazing job, given the obstacles that were put in your way.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:08 PM

Thank you very much for your comments and encouragements
I am giving her some washing instructions and I only hope that the pictures won't fade too fast. I am providing her with Dawn dishsoap and a box of color catchers. That is what I used to wash the quilt after it was completed. I had pre-washed all the fabrics and the red fabric got soaked and washed a few if not, many times before I started the quilt as it bled quite a bit..
Once completed, the color catchers were very slightly stain with pale red. Now I cross my fingers and I am quite confident that it will be ok.

Now to the next quilts as I have a few in mind.... using some leftover pîeces of fabrics!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:08 PM

You did a great job! I"m so glad she likes it. I don't think I'd like making things per request. I like to do what I want and use my own taste. I'm not too fond of having to work to other specifications. I've never even been able to get into the challenges and round robins that some groups seem to love. I guess I'm just too opinionated and want to do what I want to do no matter what anyone else thinks.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:42 PM

Great story and great quilt.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:56 PM

You have done fine, and she will be so honored.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by helou View Post
I was surprised when my SIL asked me if I could make her a quilt... " you like to quilt, would you make me one"
She has been my sister in law for almost 50 years (I only have one brother) and she is not into craft at all. When I told her how much it costs to make a quilt and that I would have to buy fabrics for it and it sells between 10 and 19$ a meter, she said "there's no price too high for a quilt" I suggested that I could go in a fabric store with her so she could indicate to me what color, fabrics, she likes... She spontaneously denied this offer as her knowledge and skills with thread and needles are close to none. She relied on me to buy what I needed

Using the computer I browse through some quilts pictures and she pointed out some that she likes... she could not answer me when I asked her what she liked in them... the colors or the pattern..

she could finally decide that she liked dusty pink and light green as colors and picked up some from leftover fabrics I already had, as colors she liked.

this is the first quilt I make with someone in mind and I realized I don't like to do "commissioned" quilt ... will it be as I think I want it to be, will they like it, will it be the right size etc.... anyway...

I had it sandwiched and partly machine quilted on my DSM when she came for a visit and she liked it she said: Yes, this is it"

the surprise I had for her was the back side that I decided I would do what I wanted. To make sure she would not sell it or give it away as I know her for having done that in the past, I sewd some fabric pictures as a kind of family tree
their wedding pictures, my brother and her with their 3 teen aged daughters, and 3 pictures of each of their daughters and their own family

she was in shock when she saw the back of the quilt and she said.... the girls will have a fight figuring out which one of them will inherited it... we just laughed

she likes it, I am happy to have surprised her with something she did not expect and I am delivering it to her in Montréal this coming week end..
Yessssss!

decision made: this is the first and (hopefully) the last one I make at somebody's request... haha I intend to make quilts and if someone likes them, they can have them but my choice, my inspiration and having fun making them... (wink**)[ATTACH=CONFIG]539910[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539911[/ATTACH]

I forgot to mention this is inspired by Delectable mountains by Eleanor Burns

and yes there are mistakes that I noticed afterward and it's fine with me I can live with them and my next one will be better, I hope!
I didn't see any mistakes. Love your quilt! What a wonderful idea.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by helou View Post
I was surprised when my SIL asked me if I could make her a quilt... " you like to quilt, would you make me one"
She has been my sister in law for almost 50 years (I only have one brother) and she is not into craft at all. When I told her how much it costs to make a quilt and that I would have to buy fabrics for it and it sells between 10 and 19$ a meter, she said "there's no price too high for a quilt" I suggested that I could go in a fabric store with her so she could indicate to me what color, fabrics, she likes... She spontaneously denied this offer as her knowledge and skills with thread and needles are close to none. She relied on me to buy what I needed

Using the computer I browse through some quilts pictures and she pointed out some that she likes... she could not answer me when I asked her what she liked in them... the colors or the pattern..

she could finally decide that she liked dusty pink and light green as colors and picked up some from leftover fabrics I already had, as colors she liked.

this is the first quilt I make with someone in mind and I realized I don't like to do "commissioned" quilt ... will it be as I think I want it to be, will they like it, will it be the right size etc.... anyway...

I had it sandwiched and partly machine quilted on my DSM when she came for a visit and she liked it she said: Yes, this is it"

the surprise I had for her was the back side that I decided I would do what I wanted. To make sure she would not sell it or give it away as I know her for having done that in the past, I sewd some fabric pictures as a kind of family tree
their wedding pictures, my brother and her with their 3 teen aged daughters, and 3 pictures of each of their daughters and their own family

she was in shock when she saw the back of the quilt and she said.... the girls will have a fight figuring out which one of them will inherited it... we just laughed

she likes it, I am happy to have surprised her with something she did not expect and I am delivering it to her in Montréal this coming week end..
Yessssss!

decision made: this is the first and (hopefully) the last one I make at somebody's request... haha I intend to make quilts and if someone likes them, they can have them but my choice, my inspiration and having fun making them... (wink**)[ATTACH=CONFIG]539910[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]539911[/ATTACH]

I forgot to mention this is inspired by Delectable mountains by Eleanor Burns

and yes there are mistakes that I noticed afterward and it's fine with me I can live with them and my next one will be better, I hope!
What a beautiful gift! Love the Delectable Mountain pattern as I have made one wall hanging with it and want to make a large quilt in the future using that pattern.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:36 PM

This is truly wonderful and it was wonderful that she liked it before she saw the back and those pictures cinched the deal.