Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Roman Shade - done

Oh my goodness! How beautiful is that!!

Now that is just beautiful! What a novel idea! Would never have thought of it myself. Love it!

I love this, great job!

That is completely astonishing! You took the concept of a stained glass quilt and made it real! Seriously - Make a few more, write up good instructions and lots of photos and you could publish your own book! Awesome!

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PS Stitcher View Post
    Georgous!! Where did you find the pattern? DD wants one for her room and I haven't found a pattern yet.
    I created the pattern on the fly. That said, when choosing my colors I was thinking about some of the lovely sunsets over the water on the Oregon coast. The ones where the sky looks like rainbow sherbet. I used one FQ per color. Do feel free to copy the pattern you see on the finished product. You could even do sunset on land making the bottom part sand or trees or whatever. I will say this. When thinking about your design remember the rule of thirds and or the golden mean for a more aesthetically pleasing landscape. In this case, the water appears in the bottom 2/3 of the quilt top where the sun and sunset appear in the top third. You could also break it up. What I didn't do was think about the structure of my window (multiple panes) or the placement of my dowels. Lessons learned.

More on Rule of thirds
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
    More on Golden Mean
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Considering I failed math miserably in school, I have become a huge fan of math as I have been able to apply more abstract math ideas (algebra) in real life. For example: I know that my total yardage of my shade needs to be 82x37 1/2. I need to subtract 6 inches for the bottom hem and 3 inches for the header board piece. That leaves me x amount to work in my design using the aforementioned math principles (golden mean, rule of thirds). Blah, blah, blah.

My point is that I tend to ramble...old people!

I am more than happy to post up a tutorial on how to generally make the Roman shades, how I pieced the on point blocks, and how to assemble the whole enchilada! Here is a page where you can get inspiration (her french door piece work was my inspiration) and she does sell instructions. I make mine a bit different from hers in structure, but the general principle is the same.http://www.terrelldesigns.com/Galler...d-Roman-Shades

One guy on there made 10 different ones. I follow his blog http://rickmcguire.blogspot.com/
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

OMG! I love it! you want to make one for me? LOL

Blog Entries
    That is fabulous! What a wonderful idea. Thank you so much for sharing!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I love it, I agree with quiltindoe, looks like stained glass.

Blog Entries
    Very unique. Good job!

beautiful and great idea

Blog Entries
    It's a beauty - what an inspiration for us all!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Blog Entries
    It's beautiful. I just had to stare and admire it for awhile. WOW!

Absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful way to dress up a window! Thanks for inspiring and sharing.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

I love this; it is so beautiful, thanks for sharing. I for one, would like it if you made a tut on how to make the shade.
    June

Blog Entries
    absolutely beautiful, where did you find the pattern. i desperatly need to replace the ones in my dining/door area and would love to have the pattern thanks rachelle

Power Poster
    its very nice!!!!
    QUILTNMO

OH. EM. GEE!!!!!! I LOVE that!!!!!!!!
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

Nice job! I used to make stained glass many years ago and this is such a great way to use that method! I'm impressed! Seems like most things like this are learning curves.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for those links- I love to learn about that stuff!

And I also love your blind. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Missus Fear View Post
    I created the pattern on the fly. That said, when choosing my colors I was thinking about some of the lovely sunsets over the water on the Oregon coast. The ones where the sky looks like rainbow sherbet. I used one FQ per color. Do feel free to copy the pattern you see on the finished product. You could even do sunset on land making the bottom part sand or trees or whatever. I will say this. When thinking about your design remember the rule of thirds and or the golden mean for a more aesthetically pleasing landscape. In this case, the water appears in the bottom 2/3 of the quilt top where the sun and sunset appear in the top third. You could also break it up. What I didn't do was think about the structure of my window (multiple panes) or the placement of my dowels. Lessons learned.

More on Rule of thirds
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds
    More on Golden Mean
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

Considering I failed math miserably in school, I have become a huge fan of math as I have been able to apply more abstract math ideas (algebra) in real life. For example: I know that my total yardage of my shade needs to be 82x37 1/2. I need to subtract 6 inches for the bottom hem and 3 inches for the header board piece. That leaves me x amount to work in my design using the aforementioned math principles (golden mean, rule of thirds). Blah, blah, blah.

My point is that I tend to ramble...old people!

I am more than happy to post up a tutorial on how to generally make the Roman shades, how I pieced the on point blocks, and how to assemble the whole enchilada! Here is a page where you can get inspiration (her french door piece work was my inspiration) and she does sell instructions. I make mine a bit different from hers in structure, but the general principle is the same.http://www.terrelldesigns.com/Galler...d-Roman-Shades

One guy on there made 10 different ones. I follow his blog http://rickmcguire.blogspot.com/
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

That is gorgeous!

Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Fantastic Job! I love It!

nls
    Great job--very pretty!!

What a great idea. Just love it.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Really pretty. I like the way it looks. The seams could easily be the leading in the window!

Quote Originally Posted by RkayD View Post
    beautiful! I have this on my list to do. I bought a book. =) I am going to back it with drapery lining.
    Awesome idea for a sunny window...or any window!!! Ok, they make drapery lining???? Wish I had known that last week!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast