Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sad shape of My Sewing Area >

Sad shape of My Sewing Area

Sad shape of My Sewing Area

Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
ok do you know what you just did? you challenged yourself. By posting for all to see now you HAVE to finish something. TADA! you did it! inspiration again! no problem we will keep asking well how is that chair quilt going?? bookmarking this so I can pester you on a regular basis (right after you book mark me to finish my Dec quilt that is not getting any more finished either).
You can pester me all you like. I have gotten the fish cut out of the ocean quilt. Working on the mermaid now.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
OK, kiddo. Get yourself motivated... straighten up the area, then get the iron out. First things first....a little wine, a little music. You'll have it ready for your next project in a jiff!!! :thumbup: :wink: :lol:
A glass of wine and I wouldn't care about quilting. But, I do like music while working back there. I like an oldies station that plays music from the 1940's to the present. I can't get my classical station with the radio back there.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Overwhelmed! It happens to all of us. My personal solution is baskets. I would get six pretty baskets out and put each project in it's own little space. Stack those baskets up in a corner. Instant organization. Now, only one basket at a time comes out to be worked on. If anyone should look into the sewing room they think that you're really organized too!
I never iron until I'm ready to use the fabric. Ironing is not my favorite occupation so it's iron as I go. Leaves less time for the fabric to "re-wrinkle"!!
The pics are just my little sewing area. I have a well organized supply room, separate from my sewing area in the sunroom. One wall is mostly fabric, neatly folded and arranged by type, Christmas, backings, flannels, fleece, garment fabric, batiks, fabrics for landscapes, and the rest by color. I have at least 9 plastic containers, each one filled with everything I need for a project.

I did get the cabinet and table cleared. And am in the process of washing the rest of the fabric I bought.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Oh geeze I can so relate to your dilema! I am up to my eyeballs in mittens and have postponed quilting for a bit. I do love to iron so it is too bad we don't live closer, I'd do the ironing in a split second!!! I am not organized by nature I really have to work at it. And it is such a struggle for me to know where everything is. The other day my husband said he hadn't seen my Ginger snips he bought me years ago and went over to my tiny snap purse and pulled out 2 pair he had given me. He nearly passed out. I was thrilled to know where they were, it made me feel so good. Really and truely he was shocked to pieces I went right to them. :lol:

Most of the time I can go right to what I want. Except when I spend hours or days looking for something that is right under my nose and didn't see it.

Chin up you'll get through it just relax! :-D
Most of the time I can go right to what I need. Except those times I spend hours or days looking for something and it's right under my nose and I didn't see it.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I'd suggest to at least fold the fabric and stack it. I spent the better day of yesterday cleaning off half of my sewing table. It's only 2x4 feet - so you can imagine. It feels so much better already.
Yep! Cleaning up sure helps. Just had too much other stuff going on at the time.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
Just stack all the fabrics you aren't going to use and get started so you can go on to the next. Your room would be to overwhelming as it is.
Believe it or not! I am actually going to use each of those fabrics in what I'm working on. I am the type who needs to see all the fabric together while I'm working on landscape quilts.

But, I did get them nicely stacked. Aren't you proud of me?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
It'll come back to you. After frantic sewing before Christmas to finish the quilts DD wanted to give as gifts I didn't want to ever sew again. Here it is the 11th and I'm ready to go again. Just give yourself some time.
Thanks, that is my problem. All that trying to get everything done for Christmas. The Kimono Rose quilt I call "Geisha Garden" almost did me in. And DH started chemo in December. So with all that going on plus holiday stuff, I'm beat. Starting to pull out of it now.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by kasmitty1
I'd crank up some Lynard Skynard, shut the world out, and just do it!
Nope, that wouldn't work for me.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Blockhead
No wonder you aren't inspired to sew!

Once that space is sorted, organised and clean, you will be enthused all over again. My room gets messy during a project, but I make sure it's all tidied at the end of it - including cleaning the machine & changing the needle. So next time inspiration hits, everything is good to go.

I think you need a system, some rules for yourself and less projects happening at once. You can do it - and once you are organised, you'll be whizzing out projects faster than you can collect them!
I really do have a system that works for me. A 9x11 ft room holds all my supplies and fabrics, unless I'm currently using them. I used to have my machine in there also, but got to feeling isolated so I moved it to the sunroom. More light there also. By the end of this week everything should organized AGAIN!

Maybe 2010 will be better all around. 2009 was a bad year for us. Mother was ill from Jan to July, DH had three surgeries and started chemo, stepson moved in, plus concerned for my country. But on the home front things look better. DH is tolerating chemo very well, knock on wood and praise God. Mother is healthy at age 92. Stepson still here though, going back to school and working on getting back his life, just retired from the Navy.

So maybe I can finish those four quilts I need to make for family which will complete my goal. Then things for me to play with.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Becca
I would love to come and help you, as I love to organize but Texas is a long way from North Dakota, although I wouldn't mind some warm sunshine this time of year! I absolutely love your windows, as my sewing area is in the basement. Just go to it and you will love the results!
But, Becca, think how warm you would be here. Hey, we're up in the high 50's today. Yes, I love being in the room with all the windows. I tend to get SADs in the winter if it is gray for too many days. I do need the sunshine.