Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Save me before I make a mess of this!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
    Oh I wish I knew how to post a link. there is a picture of a quilt posted on 09/05/12 by sparkys_mom that you should look at. The post is called two more quilts for kids. She posted two quilts, look at the second.

I struggle with FM a lot! So I have tried to come up with some alternatives so I don't wreck my quilt. I have borrowed thes idea from sparkys_mom and it is great. Very easy ! Modern, it would work with your quilt. And looks great
    Oh, I looked! That would be very easy. And since none of those lines are parallel, I think I can pull that off! lol
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    I fell in love with the same fabric this was my quilt. It was my first at following quilting rules. Does my free motion done easy on my home machine help.lease enjoy.
    OH!! I LOVE THIS!! Isn't it fun to see how different the same fabric turns out by using a different pattern? Unfortunately, the pictures aren't large enough for me to see the quilting.
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

I have a hard time with free motion, also. I have made a couple of simple baby quilts pieced with mostly straight lines and then sandwiched with batting and backing, used spray basting to keep in all together and simply quilted by made wavy lines from one side to the other and then cross-hatch the same way. I like a fairly large wave pattern (imagine tracing half way around a large mug, moving it over and tracing half way around the other side .... You can also make it look like a vine with a leaf, a heart or even a butterfly coming off occasionally. Your quilt is really quite nice!

I made the exact quilt top except in black, white and purple for my neice. I sent it to my longarm quilter Bonnie and she did a beautiful allover pattern of swirls with some whimsical flowers. It was beautiful when she was done and my neice loved it too! I love your quilt in the yellow, grey, black and white. Well done, especially for only your 2nd top!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    I forgot to mention but look at the quilting on the modern quilts (more straight line than what we are used to) I think something like that would work on yours as well. You can Google Modern Quilt Guild and probably get some ideas. I am also sure you could FMQ it but if you are nervous, take a look at the others and see if any inspires you.

I strongly agree. As soon as I saw your wonderful quilt in those fabrics of yellow gray black and white I thought modern quilting ala Angela Walters style. See if you can't get a hold of her book for some great ideas or visit her blog at quiltingismytherapy.com. Actually Charisma just recently posted a quilt on her blog that had overlapping squares. http://charismascorner.com/?p=6804 I think a modern style like that would suit this quilt quite well. And if you are not quite confident in your FMQ this overlapping squares can be done quite easily using your feed dogs and a walking foot.

You can go with the varigated gray thread you purchased or maybe something that will blend in a bit more. Either way it is sure to be quite cute.
    Last edited by feline fanatic; 12-08-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Love your quilt and the colours. You could try some Echo Quilting. That's a safe bet, yes maybe change your thread colour to blend in more with your green blocks and yes maybe put your varigated in your bl/wh blocks. Thanks for posting, hope you post a pic with the quilting finished.

Why are you embarrassed? That's a great quilt. Love the fabric. It's so happy!

Power Poster
    very pretty
    QUILTNMO

I have fallen in love with the fabric too! Your pattern sets off the fabrics perfectly. I think it might be interesting to stitch an X inside each block corner to corner. It would make an interesting design on the back side. If you aren't sure you could keep your X's straight a ruler and chalk pencil would do the trick. I would also stitch in the ditch around the blocks.

Blog Entries
    Oh I have those fabrics, I went w/ a much different pattern then yours and I love yours, I am not up to FM so I have no suggestions but you have received some really great tips, would love to see when you are finished.
    I am in ahhh, you do very nice work.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

I think it is a great quilt top. I am not very good on suggesting a quilting style but I know that many on the board will be able to help you.

Blog Entries
    This is beautiful, just beautiful. I love the colors
    Bmillet

Blog Entries
    I love it you did a really great job

How about Leah Day's Spiral Knots FMQ? I just used it on a "Thinking Outside the Block" quilt (binding tomorrow, pictures to follow). Your quilt has the circle motif in the fabric and this would duplicate that. It would also soften the lines of the quilt. Here is the link to her site: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...ral-knots.html. You did a beautiful job.

Just love it, great job and thank you for sharing
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

Very pretty! Try a cross hatch if the thread color bothers you.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Oh my!! this is so pretty,yes get it quilted and please send to me. :-) I love these colors together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dollyo View Post
    How about Leah Day's Spiral Knots FMQ? I just used it on a "Thinking Outside the Block" quilt (binding tomorrow, pictures to follow). Your quilt has the circle motif in the fabric and this would duplicate that. It would also soften the lines of the quilt. Here is the link to her site: http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...ral-knots.html. You did a beautiful job.
    This is what I usually do on my quilts. except I make my swirls larger and it is always beautiful on anything I quilt!
    I think the varigated grey thread will make you happy too! I really love KT Superior thread
    Last edited by bonitagaye; 12-09-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: wanted to write some more
    Bonitagaye...proud new Gramma

Blog Entries
    I love the fabrics and the pattern. It certainly doesn't look like a quickie pattern. Great job!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I think the quilt is very, very pretty! And I think the grey variegated thread would be gorgeous . Just stand there staring at it and a design will pop out that just screams to be [IT!] This is a good one for trying your hand at free-motion, just take one area at a time and play, play ,play. Then post it when you are finished cause I want to see it.
    Have discovered paper piecing!
    OH YEAH

I echo all of the positive comments here, Love the quilt and the colours

i think it looks great and a quilt with all of those colors is on my list of quilts to make!!!
    So many quilts, so little time :-)

I don't think that you are giving yourself nearly enough credit! This is wonderful! And around my area (near Pittsburgh, PA) Steeler Fans would think that it is amazing!!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

Very nice! Thanks for posting!

Blog Entries
    Very pretty.
    Good Job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast