Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Save me before I make a mess of this! >

Save me before I make a mess of this!

Save me before I make a mess of this!

Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Your quilt is beautiful! You could just do a large meandering design with curves.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM

I was going to suggest meandering as well. There are so many straight areas, I think it would help 'soften' the look if that is what you are after. Interestingly enough this is the same palette, with many of the same fabs, that our LQS is using in its sampler BOM. Very 'modern' indeed. As another poster suggested, maybe looking at the 'modern' quilting styles would help???? Lovely quilt, btw.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 PM

It's great just use a lite yellow or off white.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 AM

very nice quilt
Old 12-08-2012, 06:02 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by CharlotteO View Post
And, you are not stuck with the grey variegated thread. Use something that is more the color of your background if that would make you feel better. Love the quilt and the colors. I would love have the name of the pattern.
Well, I suppose I could buy new thread, but it's a whole cone of King Tut, and I know I paid a small fortune for it. And gray not being my favorite color, I probably wouldn't use it on anything else. But it's always an option, isn't it?

As for the pattern, it really IS a quickie: It's the Austin Blues option from "Bundle of 12" by Amelie Scott Designs. It's made from 12 FQs + borders. After a dozen blocks of nine-patch and matching all those seams on my i spy quilt, this was a breeze!

Last edited by MaryAnnMc; 12-08-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
Oh I wish I knew how to post a link. there is a picture of a quilt posted on 09/05/12 by sparkys_mom that you should look at. The post is called two more quilts for kids. She posted two quilts, look at the second.

I struggle with FM a lot! So I have tried to come up with some alternatives so I don't wreck my quilt. I have borrowed thes idea from sparkys_mom and it is great. Very easy ! Modern, it would work with your quilt. And looks great
Oh, I looked! That would be very easy. And since none of those lines are parallel, I think I can pull that off! lol
Old 12-08-2012, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I fell in love with the same fabric this was my quilt. It was my first at following quilting rules. Does my free motion done easy on my home machine help.lease enjoy.
OH!! I LOVE THIS!! Isn't it fun to see how different the same fabric turns out by using a different pattern? Unfortunately, the pictures aren't large enough for me to see the quilting.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 AM

I have a hard time with free motion, also. I have made a couple of simple baby quilts pieced with mostly straight lines and then sandwiched with batting and backing, used spray basting to keep in all together and simply quilted by made wavy lines from one side to the other and then cross-hatch the same way. I like a fairly large wave pattern (imagine tracing half way around a large mug, moving it over and tracing half way around the other side .... You can also make it look like a vine with a leaf, a heart or even a butterfly coming off occasionally. Your quilt is really quite nice!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 AM

I made the exact quilt top except in black, white and purple for my neice. I sent it to my longarm quilter Bonnie and she did a beautiful allover pattern of swirls with some whimsical flowers. It was beautiful when she was done and my neice loved it too! I love your quilt in the yellow, grey, black and white. Well done, especially for only your 2nd top!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
I forgot to mention but look at the quilting on the modern quilts (more straight line than what we are used to) I think something like that would work on yours as well. You can Google Modern Quilt Guild and probably get some ideas. I am also sure you could FMQ it but if you are nervous, take a look at the others and see if any inspires you.

I strongly agree. As soon as I saw your wonderful quilt in those fabrics of yellow gray black and white I thought modern quilting ala Angela Walters style. See if you can't get a hold of her book for some great ideas or visit her blog at quiltingismytherapy.com. Actually Charisma just recently posted a quilt on her blog that had overlapping squares. http://charismascorner.com/?p=6804 I think a modern style like that would suit this quilt quite well. And if you are not quite confident in your FMQ this overlapping squares can be done quite easily using your feed dogs and a walking foot.

You can go with the varigated gray thread you purchased or maybe something that will blend in a bit more. Either way it is sure to be quite cute.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 12-08-2012 at 07:16 AM.