Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Scrappy Baby Quilt >

Scrappy Baby Quilt

Scrappy Baby Quilt

Old 12-30-2015, 04:40 AM

Default Machine binding method to check out.

You did an amazing job! Your machine binding looks fantastic. Here is the link to a video of the method of machine binding that I like. Enjoy!

http://www.52quilts.com/2015/02/susi...-tutorial.html
Old 12-30-2015, 04:48 AM

Great quilt and perfect quilting designs.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
Great quilt! I love the quilting.
This is my go to when machine sewing the binding http://www.mccallsquilting.com/blogs...ng-by-machine/
I can never get the decorative stitches even so this works for me.
This is the method I use, too.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:20 AM

Good use for those 2.5 squares! I need to take a hint from you and make a pile of these to use up my 2.5 squares! I like your quilting. That is my personal bug-a-boo. I do terrific meandering but that is not the best choice for all quilts. How do you do those wonderful circles?
Old 12-30-2015, 05:34 AM

I just love this type of quilt. I used to be afraid of doing scrappies....no more after following Bonnie Hunter.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Good use for those 2.5 squares! I need to take a hint from you and make a pile of these to use up my 2.5 squares! I like your quilting. That is my personal bug-a-boo. I do terrific meandering but that is not the best choice for all quilts. How do you do those wonderful circles?
LOL! I didn't take a picture of the first circles. The more circles I did, the better I got at them. I would suggest practicing on paper, and then marking squares on a test sandwich and practice until you figure out how to stitch them. I didn't do that on this quilt because I was in a hurry. The last ones definitely look better than the first.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:45 AM

Forgot to say... I watched both tutorials but neither one shows the back when its done. Yes, when sewing the front stitching I stitch in the ditch between the binding and flange as shown, but what is not mentioned is that if you sort of lift the binding to see under it as you go, you can make your stitching come exactly over the line of stitching where you sewed the binding to the back. Then when its done your front stitches are hidden over the back stitches, so it does not make that ugly second row of stitching on the back. You just have to go slow to watch where your needle goes through the back, so in effect you are stitching in both ditches as you go around the quilt. Hope this makes sense. Its kind of hard to explain.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:49 AM

I love your quilting on this special little quilt. Since I learned the Faux Piped Binding method, I almost never hand sew a binding anymore. I love the added pop of the piping, and stitching in the ditch on the binding keeps my seam line straight. In this method, you stitch the binding on the back and turn to the front. http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html
Old 12-30-2015, 05:52 AM

I always love scrappies.(SP?) You did a great job! LOVE that layout. Now I have more videos to check out. Thanks all for lending your insight, I love this site, I get to learn even when I'm not looking for things.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

Terrific scrappy! Great quilting too!