Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Scrappy Batik Baby quilt all done and my first attempt using a long arm

  1. #1
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    I just finished the binding on my "Little Trip to Bali" baby quilt for my dd's baby shower (a week from this Saturday.) I quilted it today using a long arm machine -I wasn't expecting to, but last week at our local shop hop one of the shops demo'd the long arms and I signed up to rent time on one. The whole process took me so much less time from set to to the actual quilting - and I had a great time! I would be still working on the fmq if I hadn't rented the machine. My daughter had also requested books at her shower - I decided to make one of those fabric panel books (also a first for me), just to be sure I wouldn't duplicate a book someone else might give her.

    Close-up
    Name:  Attachment-187030.jpe
Views: 1105
Size:  54.8 KB

    Little Golden Book - Saggy baggy Elephant
    Name:  Attachment-187031.jpe
Views: 1113
Size:  66.3 KB

    Little Trip to Bali
    Name:  Attachment-187032.jpe
Views: 1111
Size:  57.3 KB

  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    I love the baby quilt, thanks for sharing

    now you need to get busy and make more quilts so you can use the long arm

  3. #3
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I love the baby quilt, thanks for sharing

    now you need to get busy and make more quilts so you can use the long arm
    I was thinking that - I had so much fun doing it, I started thinking about different designs to try. I was almost disappointed when I got to the last bit and realized I was done!

  4. #4
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    you will have so much fun, and I know a longarm lady and she puts 2 valor quilts on the longarm at the same time and gets 2 done fast

    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    I love the baby quilt, thanks for sharing

    now you need to get busy and make more quilts so you can use the long arm
    I was thinking that - I had so much fun doing it, I started thinking about different designs to try. I was almost disappointed when I got to the last bit and realized I was done!

  5. #5
    Super Member CoventryUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    3,056
    A really special quilt and the book is a lovely idea!!

  6. #6
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,327
    You did a beautiful job with this (love the book too...that brings back some special memories). I am guessing there may be a long-arm in your future!

  7. #7
    Senior Member dpparris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ellenton, Florida
    Posts
    746
    Blog Entries
    9
    Beautiful Quilt.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,576
    Great job!

  9. #9
    Power Poster debcavan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Spring Green,WI
    Posts
    14,630
    The quilt is beautiful. My wish for everyone is that if they like to do the quilting, that they have their own longarm. I know that is impossible. But I would love it for those who would enjoy it. When I first was on a longarm, I found it four times faster than my little machine. Your freemotion is beautiful. What a great idea to make a fabric book. And it is about elephants to go with your quilt, that is so cute

  10. #10
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    It's beautiful!! :thumbup: The baby elephants are adorable!

  11. #11
    Super Member sewmuchmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,997
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would not have known that it was your first attempt using a long arm! Well done :thumbup:

  12. #12
    Senior Member PABerard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    773
    Oh how cute! Love that

  13. #13
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cypress, Texas
    Posts
    4,743
    The quilt is just wonderful! You did a great job. I love those little books. I purchased almost a half-bolt of the panel book "Prayers for Children" and that is my shower gift when they ask for books.

  14. #14
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,472
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by deplaylady
    I just finished the binding on my "Little Trip to Bali" baby quilt for my dd's baby shower (a week from this Saturday.) I quilted it today using a long arm machine -I wasn't expecting to, but last week at our local shop hop one of the shops demo'd the long arms and I signed up to rent time on one. The whole process took me so much less time from set to to the actual quilting - and I had a great time! I would be still working on the fmq if I hadn't rented the machine. My daughter had also requested books at her shower - I decided to make one of those fabric panel books (also a first for me), just to be sure I wouldn't duplicate a book someone else might give her.

    What a great job you did! I just got my new long arm up and running last week. I did 2 Quilts for Kids on it and am working on one for myself, but ran out of thread. I was surprised how much thread it takes, but how fast it goes. I am going to do several tops so I can do one right after the other. Have ordered some wide quilt backing so I can do 2 side by side as has already been mentioned. Now start saving your pennies so you can get your own.
    :roll: :lol:

  15. #15
    Senior Member Rose Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    758
    too cute! I love the elephants! and the book to go with it! Good job Grandma!
    Rose Hall

  16. #16
    Super Member mimom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    chesterfield, mi
    Posts
    1,620
    I love it

  17. #17
    Power Poster MamaBear61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Milverton, ON, Canada
    Posts
    13,230
    Great shower gift, your daughter will love it.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Claddaughquilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    667
    Sweet! Love the little elephants! Your daughter will be very pleased!

  19. #19
    Senior Member Moedeenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    659
    I love batiks and would never have thought to use them in a baby quilt, but I will now. Your quilt, baby book and quilting is beautiful.

  20. #20
    Super Member KathyAire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,414
    Cute quilt. Love the elephants. Good job on the quilting, as well.

    The elephants reminds me of a cake decorating class I took a million years ago. We made a cake with pink, drunken elephants crawling on, in, and out of the cake. It was so cute.

  21. #21
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    27,165
    Great job on the quilt! Cute elephants too!

  22. #22
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    Adorable quilt and book! You did a fabulous job on the quilting!

  23. #23
    Senior Member jeanequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    543
    Beautiful!

  24. #24
    Super Member deplaylady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Webster, NY
    Posts
    1,007
    Blog Entries
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Cute quilt. Love the elephants. Good job on the quilting, as well.

    The elephants reminds me of a cake decorating class I took a million years ago. We made a cake with pink, drunken elephants crawling on, in, and out of the cake. It was so cute.
    LOL - I kept thinking of the song "Pink Elephants on Parade" while I was making them. I have 2 other blocks that aren't in the quilt - one is in pink batiks (it just was too light to go with the rest.)

  25. #25
    RDM
    RDM is offline
    Super Member RDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Evergreen State
    Posts
    1,558
    Blog Entries
    1
    How precious, nicely done in the batiks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.