Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sewing Cabinet >

Sewing Cabinet

Sewing Cabinet

Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 AM

I told my hubby I'd really, really, really like to have a sewing cabinet since I'm learning to FMQ. (I've always quilted by hand.) Right now my machine sits on a card table with the cutting mat under it because the table has a cushy top. When I want to cut, the machine gets scooted back and then scooted forward when I'm finished cutting so it's not on a good level surface. UGH!! Don't want to start trying to FMQ until I'm set up for it so that way I don't get too discouraged. I found one I really like but would like some input from people who have been doing this way longer than I have since it's such a huge investment. I've looked at so many that the features are running together on me so that's why I singled out this one. I have a Singer 140Q so how do I know if my machine will fit this cabinet? If you don't mind, please give the pros and cons of this cabinet. If you have a suggestion for another cabinet I'm all ears. Thanks! :-)

Sewing cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]212193[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-212187.jpe  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 AM

If it is a Horn or Koala cabinet usually an insert is provided for your machine. Just talk to the dealer where you are going to purchase and they should be able to let you know.

Also, these cabinets are expensive, but everybody that has them love them. Me, I have one of these.

http://www.seweziusa.com/
with a conference table up against the back for added room and for my cutting mat.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
If it is a Horn or Koala cabinet usually an insert is provided for your machine. Just talk to the dealer where you are going to purchase and they should be able to let you know.

Also, these cabinets are expensive, but everybody that has them love them. Me, I have one of these.

with a conference table up against the back for added room and for my cutting mat.
I'm looking at this one because I am so limited on space. I have a small space in the spare bedroom to work with. Thinking with this one I'd have room to store items and cut and iron so the ironing board could come down which would free up a little more space. Then when I'm finished for the day it could all be folded up. I know for ironing larger things I'd have to set up the board for that. I've sent an email to the dealer asking them if my machine will fit since we have NO dealers within a 150 mile radius. Sad....but true and that's why I do all of my shopping for items like this online.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 AM
MTS
Banned

Here's a DIY table that is cheaper and more efficient than a whole cabinet for the machine.

Just another option to consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
There is a Part 2.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KimS
Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts

I'm looking at this one because I am so limited on space. I have a small space in the spare bedroom to work with. Thinking with this one I'd have room to store items and cut and iron so the ironing board could come down which would free up a little more space. Then when I'm finished for the day it could all be folded up. I know for ironing larger things I'd have to set up the board for that. I've sent an email to the dealer asking them if my machine will fit since we have NO dealers within a 150 mile radius. Sad....but true and that's why I do all of my shopping for items like this online.
I have a Horn cabinet and love it to bits. So far, I have three different inserts to fit three different machines (Two Berninas and a Featherweight) so I can choose which machine to use in it. You are right in thinking that FMQing is much easier if the machine bed is level with a table surface, so best of luck with your purchase . BTW, I never fold mine down, but then it's in a room I use solely for sewing. I also have a Sewezi folding table that works on the same principle, and I take that to workshops, and again, I have three different inserts for it.