Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing Rocker

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    My in-laws came for a visit and we got to talking about old furniture. I told them that I've been looking for a sewing rocker. The next day they came back with this! She bought it at an estate sale years ago and never said anything. She didn't even know why there are no arms. She just liked it and bought it. They gave it to me for the new studio and because I like antiques. It was in a 100 year old house when my mil bought it. I'm so thrilled! It needs a little work and I plan to make pillows to make it more comfortable, but I just love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Sweet! I love those old sewing rockers. I have hubby's grandma's and my grandma's. I like to think of the things done in those rockers. So glad you have one since you really appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful old rocking chair! My grandmother used one similar to it, usually on the front porch.

I also remember sitting in a circle of whoever was there at the time, in the yard, snapping beans. The old folks sat and talked in low voices, until way after dark. One of my fondest memories from my childhood in East Texas...

Blog Entries
    What sweethearts!

Lovely, simple piece...glad it is going to be used and loved.

Love those old rockers

Enjoy. I remember my Aunt having one and I don't think she sat in any other chair ever!

Blog Entries
    I like my lazy boy!

This looks like the chair my GM used to sew in sometimes. Thanks for sharing.

Those little rockers without arms are also called "nursery rockers" and they were used to rock babies to sleep...they had no arms on which to bump the baby's head... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Naomi

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Thanks, Naomi. I haven't heard them called that, but it certainly makes sense. Of course, when I rocked my babies, I was glad to have the chair arms to rest my arms on. But then, my boy were pretty big and definitely heavy. I still love rocking babies. If we lived closer to a city where volunteers go in to rock and cuddle with newborns, I'd so be there. I'm going to try it out with our newest grand-baby the moment she gets here later today!

So happy for you!! I grew up with old rockers and antiques since my family loved them. DGM's always had rockers on their porches! Enjoy your new piece with your GC!! ;) ;) :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    that looks really nice.