Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: sharing pictures of my great gifts! Antiques!

Blog Entries
    What treasures. Those are absolutely beautiful quilts.

I had a machine very similar to the one in the cabinet. As matter of fact, the cabinet was a lot like yours. Had one like that until we put our house up for sale and the lady that was going to buy the house wanted the machine thrown in. My husband said yes, without even asking me! I was sooooooooo mad I didn't speak to him for a long time. He said she probably wouldn't have bought the house if she didn't get the machine. Well then she paid an awful lot of money for that machine with a house wrapped around it.

Our house is for sale right now. If we get an offer I'm going to throw in his boat without telling him. Wonder how he'd feel if one of his toys was given away without permission, or even his knowledge.

That's been a sore spot for almost 10 years now.

And the lady didn't even sew!

Blog Entries
    You are very lucky to inherit these beautiful machines and quilts. All are beautiful. The cabinet for the treadle is gorgeous and in excellent condition Someone took great care of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeBooper
    Mom gave me her 1950 singer featherweight(bought when I was born). My Aunt Betty gave me my great-grandmother's treadle sewing machine. She told me that my great-grandma bought it at Montgomery Wards and she brought it home in her horse and buggy. It was purchased around 1900-10. Up to the time my aunt gave it to me she was still sewing on it every day. I have pictures of the 2 machines plus I have taken some pictures of 2 quilts she made on the treadle. Aunt betty surprised me a few days ago with the old log cabin one. It is in excellent shape..I only found a tear about one inch and could see that she used a very thin blanket inside of it. Can be patched easily. My aunt had it for at least 55 years she said and she believes it to be anywhere from 75-100 years old. If you look closely at it you can see how she used yarn to tie it with. The fan quilt is one she made also (my mom gave me this one) around the 1930's on the treadle. She made it from some of her old dresses at the time.( I put the label on it). I am so lucky to have all these things to cherish and I will for a long time. Some day I hope to copy these quilts and use the treadle to do it. Hope you enjoy the pictures. (may take a while to get them all on here)
    Your Brunswick is beautiful! I bought on recently and love having it. It doesn't have the beautiful table your's has, mine is not as fancy, but I love it. My machine needs cleaning in the worse way but I am so afraid of taking it apart. I'm afraid I won't get it back together. So, I will just enjoy looking at it for a while longer. Enjoy your good fortune!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nance-ell
    What wonderful gifts! Very special heirlooms to be cherished.
    wow...what treasures...thanks for sharing

Blog Entries
    Those are priceless treasures that you will always treasure. My Grandmother quilted and she had always told me that I was going to get one of her quilts, a wedding ring pattern. Well, short story I have a screwed up family so I didn't get that quilt. But I did get one that she had made that they used on their bed, and to me that one is more special because it was used by them and not up in a closet. So, cherish your special gifts.

What wonderful things to have. Fan quilts are a favorite of mine so I love yours.

Beautiful quilts. Sounds like they gave them to someone who is going to treasure them. I'm envious.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    What treasures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Omgosh, those quilts are gorgeous! And the machines!!!!
    Thanks for sharing :D:D

Blog Entries
    You are so lucky to have these gifts...wished that I had gifts like these from my family.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeBooper
    Mom gave me her 1950 singer featherweight(bought when I was born). My Aunt Betty gave me my great-grandmother's treadle sewing machine. She told me that my great-grandma bought it at Montgomery Wards and she brought it home in her horse and buggy. It was purchased around 1900-10. Up to the time my aunt gave it to me she was still sewing on it every day. I have pictures of the 2 machines plus I have taken some pictures of 2 quilts she made on the treadle. Aunt betty surprised me a few days ago with the old log cabin one. It is in excellent shape..I only found a tear about one inch and could see that she used a very thin blanket inside of it. Can be patched easily. My aunt had it for at least 55 years she said and she believes it to be anywhere from 75-100 years old. If you look closely at it you can see how she used yarn to tie it with. The fan quilt is one she made also (my mom gave me this one) around the 1930's on the treadle. She made it from some of her old dresses at the time.( I put the label on it). I am so lucky to have all these things to cherish and I will for a long time. Some day I hope to copy these quilts and use the treadle to do it. Hope you enjoy the pictures. (may take a while to get them all on here)
    YOU ARE SO BLESSED TO HAVE A FAMILY LIKE YOURS I REALLY HOPE YOU APPRECIATE THEM.I WOULD ALMOST GIVE ANYTING TO HAVE MY MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER SEWING CABINET.SHE HAS BEEN GONE SINCE 1977 I MISS HER SO MUCH AT TIMES.I USED TO PLAY UNDER HER HANGING QUILTING FRAMES WHEN I JUST A LITTLE GIRL I WILL BE 48 NEXT MONDAY IF THE LORDS WILL.

It is wonderful to see these items go to someone who appreciates them and great that they are kept in the family. What a wonderful legacy.

I like the close ups of that "old" fabric. We worry about how we put our fabrics together today. They just sewed them together, and they're beautiful.

Everything is so wonderful. You are fortunate to have all of these family gifts. I have my grandmother's treadle machine and a kid's old Singer that my aunt gave me. I think that one belonged to my other grandma.

Such wonderful gifts! I'm sure you will cherish them.

Blog Entries
    Just beautiful both the machines and the quilts. What a wonderful gift enjoy it for a long time quilter friend.

Ohhhhh..... I love that fan quilt!!!!

Oh my gosh, your antique machines and quilts are just fabulous:) You are going to be a super caretaker for these heirlooms and I'm so glad you got them. The quilts look like they're pretty much in mint condition...a testamony to the quiltmaker:) Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful story.

Wonderful & beautiful gifts. So nice they are going to someone who will appreciate them

Oooohhhhh lucky you! Enjoy.

Blog Entries
    wonderful,,,,envious ha......love it all so beautfiul :thumbup:

You are so fortunate to have such treasures and I can tell you will love and honor them all. The machines are beautiful and of course the quilts are too. Hope someday you will have someone else to pass these treasures onto that will also love and cherish them. Thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    What a WONDERFUL TREASURE!!!! Congrats on being their new 'keeper of family history'.

Blog Entries
    Oh my, your quilts are beautiful, I especially like the Log Cabin, its one of my favorites, and your machines are spectatular. Cherish them always

What beautiful gifts. I have to give you a very special thank you for posting this today. Your timing could not be better. I've been racking my brain to come up with a design for the quilt I want to make for my bed. My room now is an attempt at shabby chic/Victorian but I plan on doing it right. I've searched for patterns and never found anything that really shouted out to me and last night I simply put it out in to the Universe and hoped that it would be sent to me. I was also hoping that I could use some of my charm packs. Well here it is, your grandmother's fan quilt, it's beuatiful and has given me such inspiration. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast