Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
SLOW progress on the flower garden >

SLOW progress on the flower garden

SLOW progress on the flower garden

Old 08-07-2008, 07:07 AM

Ohhh AWESOME job!! It's going to be beautiful...an appliqued border would be sooo pretty. Maybe you can do a few practice pieces while you're waiting for school to start :-)
Old 08-07-2008, 07:09 AM

It's looking great! Don't get tired of it!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 AM

Thank you ladies for your kind words.

I'm machine piecing, believe it or not and kinda making it up as I go along, Aggi. I may add hand pieced as well, but haven't been able to go anywhere that I could devote time to it over summer....might be good for those long soccer games, swimming lessons, etc coming up this fall. I really wasn't happy with the patterns I saw. My DH did make my template from the EZ hexagon acrylic, which has REALLY helped in cutting the fabrics. It's the 2 1/2 inch cut, 2 inch finished size.

He used foam core board for it and I have been known to take bits of fabric, template, and pen with me to speed this along. I can also easily draw and cut while watching TV. If you use a clipboard, it helps hold the fabric in place and gives you a hard surface to draw on.

Vicki, I will most likely use half blocks to help fill in before I add the border, but I'm not there yet, either so we'll have to see how tired of it I am at that point. I'd like to hand quilt when complete and am thinking in the ditch for the flowers and a woven path for the white sections. I was going to try my hand at machine quilting but I've got a whole lot of new tricks on this already and I truly enjoy handwork.

It's a gift for my niece who asked me to make her a quilt a couple years ago and I said yes for graduation....I think she thought I meant high school but didn't pick the pattern until this past May...a year after she started college LOL. I'm in it for the long haul, for sure. She's an old soul but loves the gold color in there and jewel tones, she picked the gold second row fabric at her last visit for a quick project. She also loved the flowers I did for my wedding and asked if I'd someday design hers, so I thought that this pattern would be perfect for her. She doesn't know I'm working on this...I do hope she likes it.

Next on the list: Bear's Paw for my son and am crazy enough to think I'll finish it before he starts high school next fall. Of course, I planned on having the blocks for the flower garden done by now..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-07-2008, 07:49 AM

All your hard work shows! It is really lovely. :thumbup: