Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Soldier Quilts all finished >

Soldier Quilts all finished

Soldier Quilts all finished

Old 09-16-2011, 05:20 AM

I really admire the soldier quilts! I have been looking for a project for soldiers currently serving - not for those who will receive one while recuperating in a hospita (though I think that is a very worthy cause). These might not even be quilting projects - I heard they had to sleep on their gear - so I have heard about making some type of pillow, but haven't found websites. I also heard about making some type of item that soldiers could use around their necks to keep them cool. I realize I am getting off topic - but at this point, I just want to let the soldiers know that we are thankful.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Karen Collins
I really admire the soldier quilts! I have been looking for a project for soldiers currently serving - not for those who will receive one while recuperating in a hospita (though I think that is a very worthy cause). These might not even be quilting projects - I heard they had to sleep on their gear - so I have heard about making some type of pillow, but haven't found websites. I also heard about making some type of item that soldiers could use around their necks to keep them cool. I realize I am getting off topic - but at this point, I just want to let the soldiers know that we are thankful.
There is a group who makes what they call Camo Quilts that they make and send directly to the guys and gals in combat areas. They will send you all the stuff to make the quilt, only asking for postage. You can check them out at www.camoquiltproject.blogspot.com
Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 AM

Those are wonderful! Bless you all for doing that.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
How wonderful a project!! They will be so appreciated!! God BLess our troops and all the hands that contributed to these:)
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Thank you so much for the website. I will check it out ASAP.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke
These quilts really helped me deal with my daughter being in Afghanistan the last 6 months. I'm so glad she asked for them and that all the wonderful quilters here made the happen. Good Lord willing, she'll be home in less than 3 weeks!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Wonderful projet. Lovely quilts.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilts and Ladies for making them for our wonderful Military.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
These quilts really helped me deal with my daughter being in Afghanistan the last 6 months. I'm so glad she asked for them and that all the wonderful quilters here made the happen. Good Lord willing, she'll be home in less than 3 weeks!
Did you send quilts to soldiers currently serving? I would love to send quilts but am unsure how they can use them while they are over in Afganistan.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Karen Collins
Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
Did you send quilts to soldiers currently serving? I would love to send quilts but am unsure how they can use them while they are over in Afganistan.
I will be presenting them with the quilts upon their return to their base here in Florida. With all the equipment they have to take to Afghanistan, they really have no room for much extra. My daughter has shipped home 3 large crates of her stuff so she didn't have to drag it around with her on the way home - one of the crates I could not even lift! If there is a base close to you, call them and ask to talk to someone about giving quilts to the returning servicemen and women.

I also quilt for American Heros, a group who gives quilts to every wounded warrior coming through the hospital at Ft. Lewis in Washington. While they deserve a quilt, I also feel that each and every service member who serves in a war zone deserves to have a small token of thanks for everything they have sacrificed to serve our country. I'm lucky enough to have daughters in the military who give me access to these groups so I can make quilts for them!!!