Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Somethingsot right

Somethingsot right

I've been working on this for about a week not and got the parts put together, but somethings not right. I think it is the dresden in the middle or the diamond border. Please be honest.
    Opinions needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Blog Entries
    I'm not in love with the border. I think it is too busy. Everything is done very well, no problem there. Just think a different border would be better. JMHO.

I feel the blue birds and the binding don't match the center, how about cardinals on white with the binding in navy, red or white??

The Dresden is too plain and the border too strong.
    I would choose a stronger contrast for the Dresden, and a border that frames, but not overpower the Dresden.
    That's my honest opinion .

Blog Entries
    Maybe too many colors ?

Like Sandybeach said- everything by itself is wonderful - all together , it is too much
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I love the dresden but the border over powers. I'd try a different border. JMHO.

but also the binding and blue birds match, so making changes you will have two toppers, sorry didn't even notice the border, thought the sashing was the border, border doesn't go with any of it, but each there own, its hard sometimes. Good luck.

Hmmm. Since you think there is something wrong with it, I'm taking a hard look see. I would use the diamond border on another project. When I put my hands on the screen and remove that section. You get a different look. I would go with a softer color border outside the batik border. I like the blue and green diamonds. Those are great. I will be the first to tell you that I'm new and learning that value is more inportant than color and stuff like that. The batik border could be throwing everything off too. Maybe keep the rest and get rid of that. Remember what you see on the computer screen is different from being able to physically see the real thing. Good luck. I'm sure you'll come up with something wonderful so keep at it.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really like the border, but to me it doesn't go with that dresden.

I agree you might be happier with different borders. I would use a red middle border then a blue outer border. I would do the middle border 2 times the small inner border. Then I would add the inner border and the middle border widths together to get the size of the outer border. It is the Fibonacci sequence. It is found everywhere in nature. It is pleasing to the eye. I would save the current border for another quilt, maybe a sail boat or lighthouse! I love the dresden plate. well done! Luann in CT
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Thanks to all. I too think the diamonds don't go with this project. Any sugestions on the color I should use instead. I also planned on adding another border of machine embroidery. But I'm not sure that would go with the theme either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Blog Entries
    love the center... the border-not so much
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I don't see any of the border colors in the center. Repeat, repeat. I feel the border is much too much for the dresden. The border would look good on something, but the plate is soft looking. I would repeat part of the inner for the outer. JIMHO

I do not like your border with the Dresden Plate. I would go with a simpler border so that the Dresden Plate stands out. Good Luck.

As originally pictured, it lacks harmony. You have colors fighting with each other, patterns fighting with each other, and 'styles' fighting with each other. Sometimes having one of these elements fight with another will work, but not all three.

Change the border to red and blue, or red white and blue to bring the colors out in the Dresden. It shouldn't be too complicated of a border either ... Piano keys (wide strips) might work and "mimic" the Dresden somewhat.

I'm not completely taken with the birds in the corner .. wondering if plain red would be better.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I really like the border but not on the soft and sweet dresden plate. It is just to bold for the center design. I think I see two quilts in your future. Both parts are great apart.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    The border is quite overpowering. Isn't it great to be able to ask other here on QB. We have our own great big classroom right here.

Power Poster
    Both parts are great but not together.JMHO If you use the center, do a softer border in blue and cream? The diamond border would look great on a green or blue center panel. It is your quilt though so go with what you think looks best.

som
    Blog Entries
    i love the center ,but i think you nrrd a softer boarder ,maby some red and blue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    Thanks to all. I too think the diamonds don't go with this project. Any sugestions on the color I should use instead. I also planned on adding another border of machine embroidery. But I'm not sure that would go with the theme either.
    I would hold this lovely embroidery for another project. The lavender/purple in these flowers isn't shown anywhere else in the quilt. Drop the green diamond border too, as recommended by others. I like the idea of using red.
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Blog Entries
    I agree about the border It doesn't go with the dresden IMHO

Blog Entries
    I love it!!!!!!

Replace the blue bird part with different fabric.... use red inner border. then maybe a dresden like border of the center fabric?

The dresden of all one fabric and the double green/blue border are the issues for me.

Sorry, but you asked for honest opinions.

I have a few UFOs that somehow worked much better as WHIMS rather than for real.

I would just use the dresden for a quilt and solid or splotchy fabrics for the borders. Use the rest for another quilt or whatever. I like everything, just not together. I hope not to hurt your feelings.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

JMHO, I would take off the outer border and use it in another project. As for the embroidered fabric, I would use that in another project too. I think it would make a really pretty table runner!! I would want to keep the focus on your dresden plate. Nice job!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast