Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Starred and Feathered top is done! >

Starred and Feathered top is done!

Starred and Feathered top is done!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

this is beautiful. i love the borders
Old 04-14-2009, 05:26 PM

It's absolutely gorgeous! It's been so much fun watching this WIP. THanks for sharing the journey with us.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I suppose that the nobel thing is to just be happy within yourself when you have accomplished something you are proud of. No doubt there is a whole lot of that but, we don't create in a vaccum. What artist creates and then hides it away where no one will ever see it? Maybe some do but that's a whole other issue and not the norm.

From the maker of the humblest potholder to a world famous clothing designer, they all want their efforts seen, enjoyed, and admired. Some people would be thrilled with a potholder and others would thumb their noses at anything less than runway worthy.

The ones who love the art of taking little pieces of fabric and making something fabulous will either find us or we find them. Like right here on this board.
wow. I was waiting to read all the replies, before posting mine, but after the way you so eloquently put it into perspective, couldn't wait any longer.
Your so right, we quilters are artists, each in their own right. We are a mixture of humility and pride. It's ok, to be proud of work, well done, and it is ok, to want some positive feedback. I am not ashamed to say I bask in the glow of a nice compliment that I worked very hard for. I take it with grace, but it spurs me on, to make other things. This is only human.
My girls, as I am sure yours are also, are very good people, but since they do not sew and heaven forbid, 'quilt'?...only one has commented after seeing a show or two on tv, that she would never have the patience to do all that, but can see how I feel about it. She knows I do it out of love.
I would like to know more about the padded squaring thingy you mentioned...was trying to keep it on the brain, but...
Last but not least...my favorite part, and there are many...of the quilt, is in the center, that pretty border around the feathered star...that was a stroke of genius...would be awesome without it, to be sure,
but that is the piece de' resistance (sp, lol!)...piece I can't resist!
hugs, Pam...somebody should hug you big time and say, "I love it, I love it, it's so beautiful, I can't wait to show it to all my friends, they are going to be so jealous"...
yes, I would love to hear those words, too.
Who knows, maybe one day we will.
I'm thinking of taking step by step pictures and giving as a 'history' you may want, when asked about this quilt in the future...giving recipient a nice hint as to the process... :D
Old 04-15-2009, 06:25 AM

I do think we are all artists and the medium we use is fabric. As I read somewhere on this board, we have the need to create and would use whatever we have at hand. Everyone wants to be appreciated and acknowledged for what they do. If not, there wouldn't be art galleries and quilt shows. It is human.

My daughters are good people too but as non-sewers they don't know what all goes into it either. I know they will like what I give them, whatever it is.

The padded board is a quilter's squaring and blocking board. I looked at Joann's and it says it is out of stock but I'm sure other places have it. It's hard padded with grid lines though I wouldn't use those grid lines because they aren't true. When I have a block that is too big, or too small, I pin it to the board in the size that it SHOULD be, spray it with starch, and either stretch it out or shrink it. It does work wonders and the little stars would be a whole lot worse if I hadn't done that to make them true.

Link to the board
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...ODID=xprd74140

A video on shrinking and there are others from her about stretching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6apl...eature=related
Old 04-15-2009, 06:31 AM

Gorgeous!!! It reminds me of a snowflake! Sweet!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:08 AM

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL !
Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 AM

I love it! Great job. Just the right touch to put the log cabin borders.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Sorry I'm a little late, Pam but that is stunning!!!! I'm so glad the LCs worked out, they look great! Well done you, now get quilting!

K x
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 AM

Pam - thank you for listing Sharon Schamberg's youtube site. I wish I had known about SHRINKING blocks when I was making the Twin's quilts , but I'm glad I know now. Never to late to learn something new. As I keep saying, I learn something every time I log onto this board.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Pittsburgpam:

That is a BEAUTIFUL Quilt!! You did it is such a short time too.

Wonderful!!

imak
Betty