Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: the start of Thinking Outside the Block... it's not quite the effect I was going for...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wanted rich fall.... I feel like I got jungle or camouflage. :| :roll: It was rich fall to a point...then it took a turn. Maybe it was the dark red strip? Hmmm.

Maybe I've been working on it too long... I'll put it away and peek first thing tomorrow to see if I feel differently.

Thank goodness I didn't plan on making a whole quilt--just a table runner and a wall hanging, so only 42 blocks are started. Phew! I completed 10 tonight so I could see how I liked it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    I wanted rich fall.... I feel like I got jungle or camouflage. :| :roll: It was rich fall to a point...then it took a turn. Maybe it was the dark red strip? Hmmm.

Maybe I've been working on it too long... I'll put it away and peek first thing tomorrow to see if I feel differently.

Thank goodness I didn't plan on making a whole quilt--just a table runner and a wall hanging, so only 42 blocks are started. Phew! I completed 10 tonight so I could see how I liked it.
    I think it is pretty, although maybe a little more jungle than fall? I think maybe it is that green stripe doing it...I think the 4th one from the center? I think it would turn out beautifully as it is though!

Lovely. Way too many seams to match for me.

I think it looks rich. The gold band and light centers give a glow to it. Looks like you have several setting possibilities.

I agree that it looks more jungley, but I love it! It is going to be sooooo cool and soothing looking with just the right pop of gold/yellow.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    But, but, but, I don't want to make a jungle! How can I change it from the first green? I need to rethink this and maybe make smaller blocks--less strips--and just make more to finish a project.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I think they are lovely. You did a great job but they are a little on the jungle side.

Blog Entries
    Karla, this is enchanting. The colors are very rich. What does it look like if you lay a deeper hue on top of the very center squares? I think it is the center square that is making it pop. It is wonderful like it is! With the center squares there I see Christmas.
    I see it on your table laden with pine cones, holly, candles burning, children playing, gifts abound, pies baking in the oven,
    well you get my drift. I like it and my address is:::::: :-) :-)

Blog Entries
    I like it just as you have it.... reminds me of flaming gold/orange maple
    trees, etc.

Blog Entries
    Whatever you call it, I thinks its pretty. The colors go well with each other.

i'm getting fall from it not jungle. i need animal print to think jungle.

love the pattern and your fabric selection

bj
    I think it looks awesome. It may be one of those projects that you don't get the full effect of until you've got more. I like the red in it.

I'm glad you posted it in progress...I've been wondering how that layout went together. Now I know :D I'd like to try it as a baby quilt for my niece's baby.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Louise
    I think it looks rich. The gold band and light centers give a glow to it. Looks like you have several setting possibilities.
    I completely agree. It will be very pretty.

Blog Entries
    I think you're using too much green to be fall...but I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this!!
    Maybe replace the outer green with a deep rust?

I really like it the way it is, but then you are using the colors I like!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmm--the flaming maples was what I was going for, BUT I was also using what I have available--so forcing the issue. I just didn't want to buy more fabric.

I agree on too much green too--but I have a lot of green and was trying to use some up. Blue is the other one in great supply--but that didn't work at all--trust me, I tried. :wink:

Dang--I should have gone green/blue and called it Ocean Waves! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Love your colors!

Blog Entries
    Karla, I love this and may have to make this pattern...

But, since you asked my opinion...I think you need the center to be a small leaf print with all the greens, oranges, beiges, and reds in it.

I don't see orange, and I don't think of fall with beige.

If you like applique, this would be a good one to "finish" with falling applique leaves in solids of each of the colors. IMHO

Maybe change the theme and name to fit what you have on hand.
    I like it as it is, but, it is yours and you need to be satisfied with it.

Gorgeous! Definitely fall inspired. Very rich looking. And your piecing...goodness! Do not rip any of that out! ;)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    MJ--the center is a soft orange and is supposed to be in a BIG contrast with the rest of the block. I love that fabric--it's so beautiful--kind of a peachy yellow--not beige.
    It's too late to change the middle square since I have 30 more already made to the green strip....

So, either I call it "It's a Jungle Out There!" or maybe "Have You Tried the New Camo From Wal-Mart?" or I made a change... it's very hard to get FALL out of my head since each of those fabrics--well minus two--holler FALL to me... I'll play with fabric tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Stay tuned...

PS.. Chele--trust me--rippping some out is not a priority!! :lol: I will make something from the blocks that are together...a table runner. But I don't want to complete more as planned--I'm just not a jungle kind of girl.

The fall colors are very pretty but the 1st green from the center kind of breaks up the flow of colors. If it were me I would omit it all together or use it use it in the outside area.

I think that it is nice. Maybe that green has some blue in it that's throwing you off. Just put fall decorations with it and it will suggest autumn.

I wouldn't change a thing!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast