Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starting a new and daunting project

Starting a new and daunting project

Just wanted to share with all of you my new project: 5 Cats. I drew the pattern and worked up all the blocks. It's to be a large sofa throw for a friend of my daughter's who has been there and supported her thru so much! After I made the 4 cats wall hanging for my daughter, her friend fell in love with it, but she has 5 cats and offered to pay me to make one of her 5 cats. I never quilt for pay, and in this case, it will be a gift of love and thanks for being such a great friend!
    I am attaching photos of the original drawing, the blocks I will have to make and the first one I've almost finished, the white cat, CeCe! I'm so excited about this quilt, but also anxious that it goes together and comes out great!
    Name:  original pattern.JPG
Views: 2355
Size:  180.7 KBName:  all the blocks drawn out.jpg
Views: 2352
Size:  172.2 KBName:  CeCe the white cat.jpg
Views: 2347
Size:  175.4 KB
    Wish me luck!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

That will be such a nice gift. Please share your progress on this project. You are so creative.

Oh what fun! Great design work. It will be a treasure for your friend and inspiration for the rest of us!

Wow a lot of work went in to the designing of that quilt. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-09-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Power Poster
    That design should be published!

I agree bearisgray! I would buy a copy of it like it is. How fun!
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Itís going to turn out great! What a thoughtful gift.

Love your design! Please share your progress...

I am sure it will turn out beautifully.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Love how they seem to all be watching the bird houses (border)

Blog Entries
    Oh my, I can’t wait to see it finished. Please share and you should publish that pattern!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I very much enjoy your creativity and your commitment to creating a unique gift for a special friend.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the post. It is a great example of how you can design and plan a top. Using words to explain a graph paper layout are ok, but seeing it done is so valuable!!!!

LOL klswift, I am not so good at using words to explain things. When I get words, I still want pictures! For anyone who wants to use my pattern, please do and enjoy. If you feel a need to pay something, send scraps and orphan blocks! LOLOL

So far so good, Cat 2 is on the wall. Things are beginning to not come together exactly in some areas, especially joining several pieced sections I am coming up at times with one part 1/4- 1/2" off, but they are working with just a bit of trimming. Name:  2 kitties.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  104.9 KB
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Love your design work. The quilt will be such a special quilt. Perhaps you should frame your drawings with a photo of the quilt too.

Great start. Drawing out on graph paper is how I do a lot of my quilts. So far so good. Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

You are a pattern designer!

This will turn out so cool....such a sweet gift for a sweet and thoughtful girl...
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

DJ
    What a wonderful project!

In the event she tries to insist on paying you, you could consider the response I have used. She could make a donation of any kind to a charity of her choice rather than paying you. She needn't let you know the amount.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful thng you are doing for her. Can't wait to see the finished project. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    What a wonderful project!

In the event she tries to insist on paying you, you could consider the response I have used. She could make a donation of any kind to a charity of her choice rather than paying you. She needn't let you know the amount.
    This is a great idea! I won't let her try to pay me tho, as I will just explain that it's a thank you from me for all the love and support she has given my daughter during the many years of their friendship. They live in Ohio and I in NY, so it's such a great comfort to me knowing that she has friends who are there for her when I cannot be. My daughter has had a hard life and many struggles but she is a wonderful person and has a solid flank of women around her! They are all blessings to me as well as her.
    Linda Wedge White

And now there are 3... I just can't stay away from it even tho I'm now working on a comfort quilt. I keep going back and doing "just a little bit more".
    Name:  and then there were 3.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  141.6 KB
    Linda Wedge White

Blog Entries
    So great to know someone still uses graph paper like me, (when I plan at all) Kindred spirit. Love your cat design I am also a cat lover, and that is just a dandy grouping! Can't wait to see your quilt - please post again when you finish!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

I'll be posting as I go along as this project will take some time. I have to make comfort quilts in between, plus a 2 week trip to Ohio to stay with my daughter for a medical procedure and to see my granddaughter's dance recital! I love watching her dance. She will be 16 next month... they grow up so very fast!!
    Linda Wedge White

Blog Entries
    How nice of you to make it! Nice start. It’s going to look great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast