Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Still Working On This - What's Under My Needle >

Still Working On This - What's Under My Needle

Still Working On This - What's Under My Needle

Old 01-29-2017, 05:24 AM

I like the thinking out of the box. You should be proud of the end result. I find if I work on a quilt too long I really hate it, especially a scrappy one. Our local library encourages quilters to bring in quilts to hang so they can be enjoyed by patrons. I've surprised myself several times seeing it hanging and saying wow that did come out good. I also enjoy seeing all the different styles of quilters take on things. When I first started a scrappy my teacher told me to put all the pieces into a bag and sew what you grab, I thought she was nuts but it works for me. Keep on sewing your way.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
I'm getting close to finishing one up too. It is so hard to do the last few step to complete it. Especially when it is a big one like this. But it will be so worth it when it is done. Yours is lovely, original,and well designed. It is a quilt to be proud of and show off with pride whenever you can. Great work!
Oh dear, there was no design.....if any design at all, it was just making sure I used the white to balance all the color/prints. But thank you for the compliments!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sandykady View Post
I like the thinking out of the box. You should be proud of the end result. I find if I work on a quilt too long I really hate it, especially a scrappy one. Our local library encourages quilters to bring in quilts to hang so they can be enjoyed by patrons. I've surprised myself several times seeing it hanging and saying wow that did come out good. I also enjoy seeing all the different styles of quilters take on things. When I first started a scrappy my teacher told me to put all the pieces into a bag and sew what you grab, I thought she was nuts but it works for me. Keep on sewing your way.
I have been quilting for a while and I believe it has taken its toll. But since I am not under a real time constraint with this one, I only worked on it off and on.

Maybe after my break, I will tackle a different more structured type of quilt, like log cabin, or something, with no particular time frame in mind. Maybe.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
I pretty much use this technique all the time. Sometimes I have resorted to the sash joins but mostly stick with this. It is from Kaye Wood's 6 hour quilt video/book. The difference is I don't use a serger as she does in her video, or really follow the pattern like she does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48
Someone said they didn't like the thick seams this created, but I always topstitch on those long seams anyway just to make sure it is secure.

I am happy with being able to quilt using this technique, but it is still a long process.
Hope you get a chance to check out her tutorial, and then use the basics of it to create your own style.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:04 AM

I think that your quilt is very unique and interesting too. I like the soft colors a lot.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:12 AM

Thank you..
Old 01-29-2017, 08:01 AM

Beautiful quilt!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

It will look awesome...
Old 01-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Now, finally, a quilt I can relate to. LOVE it! I am always happiest when I am just putting a serendipitous quilt together. This is awesome. Don't stop now!
Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 AM
pal

I think it's beautiful! Not modern - just an old fashioned quilt made with scraps - who cares if they ARE scraps or aren't scraps. I'd be so proud to put that on my bed.