Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Such Pretty Fabric, Such and UGLY Block >

Such Pretty Fabric, Such and UGLY Block

Such Pretty Fabric, Such and UGLY Block

Old 06-18-2010, 04:21 AM

I scrapped the whole idea. They will look good in another pattern. This one just didn't work well.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:22 AM

I have to admit I must be a crazy too. I see a lot of possibilities with the block you've already made. I like it a lot. Looks like the beginning of a crazy quilt.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:49 AM

How about using them with a block in a block type of pattern? That would separate the prints to not make it look so busy.

Pretty fabrics though!
I do feel your pain... let's not mention the countrified Xmas tree skirts that a friend of mine & I accidentally created - and abandoned for now...
Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Love your fabrics, and I really, really like how kaleidoscope 2 turned out.

That has some real possibilities...

But I'm sure you'll find "the right one" and it will speak to you loud and clear.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM

Hi there. my thought on your block is that if the center 2 "blades" of your pattern were of the same fabric and the next 2 on either side were of the same fabric, etc., it would work out better. There would be some symmetry and would look a little more balanced.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 PM

Try using two that are busy, and then the rest tame patterns. Just too busy on that one you made I think. The fabrics are great, but too many together.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

well, I love the block pattern :-D
Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
OK guess what my camera can do? Take photos in BW. I am not sure though how this helps me.
one thing it can do is force you to look at the patterns, like one other poster suggested. In this grouping you have very little contract between fabrics. The lights on the bottom and the black with the dots are the only two that really contract with the rest and the black doesn't contrast much because it's the same dark shade as many of the patterns. In the patterned fabrics, almost all your prints are about the same size, that makes them blend together even move. IN your block you used only the black and similar sized prints.

First try the same block using the light/white plus the same prints as in the black block and see what a difference it makes. Next, change some of the med/small prints with a large print and again, see what the difference is. YOu don't even have to sew the blocks together, just cut out your pieces of fabric and lay them next to each other in roughly the same way they will look in the finished block and you can see the difference.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Just a thought...how about making this same square just a bit larger by turning it into a 'stained glass' block. Just add scant 1/4" lead between each color. I made a crazy quilt block much like this out of teals and purples - beautiful fabrics but they looked awful on top of each other. SO, I made 'lead' (cut on straight of grain 3/4")to put between the glass and restitched; looked awesome. Wish I had kept a picture; it was a gift several years ago. Try a block with all your same fabrics and see what you think.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by bebe
post a pic of the fabrics you want to use. maybe we can help you come up w/ a way to use them. I think you need a solid tan, biege, of white, black and etc. Use your prints spairingly
I agree that you should break up some of the prints by using solids. I sorta like the block, but I like "different" stuff. lol