Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Such Pretty Fabric, Such and UGLY Block >

Such Pretty Fabric, Such and UGLY Block

Such Pretty Fabric, Such and UGLY Block

Old 01-03-2010, 11:48 AM

The problem may be that the prints are all so busy that there is no place for the eye to rest. You might want to try throwing in some less busy fabrics. It can work - right now your fabrics are all running together.
Just an opinion- :-D
Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Individually they are all really pretty. Together they suck!!!
I'm agreeing with you on this one...at five foot from my monitor this combination doesn't get the point across. These fabrics are fantastic...but they all seem to be dancin' to different music...dancin' really fast, I might add...LOL. This block has so many pieces and changes in direction that I think it might need more Indians and a just one or two Chiefs. Hey, I've got piles of these kinds of experiments, too! There's always the chance that it will get better as it gets bigger...try copying it on paper and put some copies together to see... That's gonna take a bunch of printer ink but it won't be as much work. Thanks for the sharing!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM

The fabrics you selected are really quite beautiful. I encourage you to read a little from Maria Peagler (Color) and Karen Combs (Value). I think you can find both on the net. Maria Peagler uses an analogy for color use called the "Three Bears Rule," use your fabric colors in the following ratios 60%, 30%, and 10%. Karen Combs has a Value tutorial for her Value Tool (a red view through acrylic) that does a really good job of explaining value. If you don't have a value tool of some kind photo copy your fabrics in gray scale to determine their value. I think once you determine the true values of those beautiful fabrics and consider using in the ratios Maria Peagler describes you will be amazed at the magic your fabrics will deliver. We would love to see your progress in new pictures!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:23 PM

Although not my cup of tea, it really has potential.

What about same placement of fabrics and just rearranging your blocks to form some sort of pattern?

Something like 'Around the World' or thereabouts?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:24 PM

OK guess what my camera can do? Take photos in BW. I am not sure though how this helps me.

Pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62481[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62475.jpe   attachment-62476.jpe  
Old 01-03-2010, 12:39 PM

It may not be what you are looking for but I think it is a totally awesome block :thumbup:
Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 PM

I agree with Nursesews.....I love it!!

Nita
Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 PM

kwhite, just a suggestion: when I saw your fabric [which I love BTW] I thought of the post by twistedstitcher called 'Capaccino Boxed Squares'. Take a look. You probably want to use your pattern which is neat and if you do try a black sashing around each block and see how that looks. There is also a pattern you can download for that quilt [above]. My two cents!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Thank you jan. That is a pretty quilt but it is too modern for my taste. Maybe that is my problem. I am using madern fabrics with a more traditional pattern.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM

I printed it off because I have two moda jellyrolls that I thought might work for it. Just what I need is another project! LOL Did you try the black, grey or dark brown sashes around them? Sashing can do wonders for busy fab. sometimes. Good luck!