Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Sweet Retreats Little Sister bag >

Sweet Retreats Little Sister bag

Sweet Retreats Little Sister bag

Old 07-27-2014, 10:09 AM

I like your bag! I hope you wrote down the directions for the way you made it for next time. I make lots of notes in my patterns if I do something different or if the pattern directions are not well written. Great job!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 AM

Love the bag!!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Love the bag!!! I find reading patterns can be difficult. I love it when there is a video to go along with the pattern.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:10 PM

Great bag. If you decided to make the bag again I am sure that you could refine the instructions to make it easier.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful bag with lots of pockets!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretH View Post
I do so like your bag. I have made a good many bags and have found that a lot of the patterns can be vague in their instructions. I have never inserted a recessed zipper and want to add one to one of my favorite bag patterns, was it difficult? I am still googling others tutorials on this. I am finding a lot of different methods of doing this. Now to decide which one to follow.
look for videos by Debbie Shore. She showed how to do a recessed zipper in a tote bag. Her explanations are always clear and easy to follow. I've made a few of her projects already and do intend to make the zipped tote bag when I finish my current quilts.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Nicely done.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:32 AM

Nice bag. I have looked at many bag patterns and have purchased a couple but just can't seem to get started on them. This encourages me..... but not when the instructions aren't good.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretH View Post
I do so like your bag. I have made a good many bags and have found that a lot of the patterns can be vague in their instructions. I have never inserted a recessed zipper and want to add one to one of my favorite bag patterns, was it difficult? I am still googling others tutorials on this. I am finding a lot of different methods of doing this. Now to decide which one to follow.
I just watched this Debbie Shore video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8YHMqJi3a8

It is very similar to what I did for this bag. I cut 2 pieces 3 1/2 by app 21 and added fusible interfacing to each. Fold each piece in half so they are now 1 3/4 by 21. Each of these is placed on top of the zipper (just like in the video), raw edge on the zipper edge, folded edge covering the zipper (there is no fabric on the bottom of the zipper). I finished the zipper insert exactly as Debbie did, adding the end tabs.

I put this insert into the finished bag. To do this, measure down 3/4" from the long sides of the bag and mark. Pin the folded edges of the side zipper tabs to this line, then top stitch close to the edge. Make sure your bobbin thread matches the outside of your bag. The end tabs then get tucked under and inside the bag.

Hope this helps you. Zippers are not hard to do. They just seem intimidating.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:14 PM

Great looking bag!