Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Symposium 2009 - Wellington, New Zealand >

Symposium 2009 - Wellington, New Zealand

Symposium 2009 - Wellington, New Zealand

Old 04-10-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat
Bluechicken
the gallery worked fine and they are absolutely beautiful quilts! Were those your daughters in a few of the pictures?They are beautiful too
I made them stand next to some for a size comparison, it didn't occur to me until halfway round though sorry! The eldest is my stepdaughter, and the little one is my youngest, she's 7 in a couple of days.

There was some absolutely stunning work displayed.... it is the biggest show we have in this country I think, so was the absolute top quilters.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Wow!! Thanks for sharing those photos. What stunning stunning work....
Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 PM

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Every picture that came up I said, "Oh, that's the best!" until the next picture. Wow! Beautiful quilts. It had to be wonderful to see them in person. Thank you again for sharing.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Thank You!!!! So many beautiful quilts!!!! So many ideas!!!!! :D :D :D I loved seeing your girls in the pictures, too!!! :D :D :D Happy early birthday to the little one :D :D :D
Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Wow! Thanks BC - those were beautiful. It's wonderful how different countries seem to have different styles and flavours. These had a different feel to what I see here in France, what I've seen in the UK and Holland, and what I see online from the States - all beautiful, just different! My overall impression was - stunning pictorial quilts, lots of beautiful appliqué and some really clever 'perspective' quilts! Loved it, thank again for taking the time! :D

K x
Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 AM

I think I tend to lean towards colour first... the bright purples and blues and greens attract me... actually, anything really bright does it.

There were a lot of art quilts, but because I don't really get them I tended not to photograph them.

There was a large section devoted to the ANZACs too, which is the Australian and New Zealand Army Corp. They fought at Gallipoli and we're fiercly proud of them.

There is definitely a huge difference between countries. What has struck me the most is the traditional aspect out of America, there's a lot of traditional blocks, colour schemes, with modern twists as well.

I buy a British magazine every now and then and they have a different style again.

And that, my dear Watson, is the beauty of the internet. The world is at our fingertips. We have instant access to the greatest quilts and quilters this planet has to offer. No matter what our preferred method or style, we can find kindred spirits, support, advice, tips, and new skills.

It's great to be a quilter today. :-)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 AM
k3n
Power Poster

You said it!

I know about Gallipoli but only from that film so I don't know how historically accurate that was. Great film though and you are justly proud.

K x
Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 AM

We're quite horrible to each other most of the time, Australia and New Zealand, there's an intense rivalry. But when it comes to our Anzac's we stand proudly side by side. The best bit is, every Anzac day the rememberance crowds at the dawn parade get bigger and bigger.

Another section of quilts that were quite stunning were the junior entries. There are some seriously talented youngsters out there! I couldn't take any photos, it was at the end of the gallery and was quite crowded, so couldn't get any shots in.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 AM

Those beautiful quilts and your slide show presentation of your pictures was wonderful. I just sat there saying outloud to myself: "wow" "wow" "wow" -- suppose it sounds silly and I should be embarassed to admit talking to myself but I just can't help it.

Thank you, Bluechicken, for sharing.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM

So many beautiful quilts--thank you for sharing!! I loved seeing your girls in the pics too.