Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Wildflower OBW

I love the fabric and they way your blocks are turning out. Isn't this a great pattern?

Yes I do love you Gai but I do also like your OBW. Like Barnbum said that is one of the first ones I have liked because of the colors. I guess I just tend to lean towards the more trditional quilts but I am trying to break out of the box. I di do a stained glass afterall.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Soo--just out of curiosity...you don't put those together by the block? You do it in rows?

I can't get past how you'd cut exactly the same triangles either... it's been a long week, so don't try to explain. I like a good mystery. :lol:

The blocks are done in halves, so there is three pieces a side, so there is a straight edge to put with a straight edge, you hold them together with a pin to lay them out. I have some blocks sitting around if you need a picture to figure it out, sometimes they help a lot.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    don't try to explain. I like a good mystery. :lol:

Oh barnbum I would probably drive you crazy! I love a good mystery too, but only if I know what is going to happen! I read the end of a book first, usually before I even buy it. And before I go to a movie I check out "Movie Spoiler.com" to find out exactly what happens and how it ends.

ooooh, so pretty Gai. I have a sistwerp too, but she really is one!!!!

Love what you're doing - can't wait to see it fall into place.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Wow Gai those are looking fabtastic. (that was actually a typo - the b is next to the n on my French keyboard, but I keft it because it's a good word! :wink: )

Now I HAVE to try one with bright colours, although the two lots of yardage sitting in my stash waiting to be OBWd are both fairly muted. Oh well, just have to buy MORE!!! :D

Are you trying the triangles each of the 3 possible ways each time or just going with straight of grain on the outside edge? Sometimes I even take PHOTOS of the three possible ways to help me decide. :shock: It's such fun seeing the sometimes widely different effects you get just from the same six triangles. This is what I LOVE about OBWs, the actual piecing process is such fun and interesting. That's from someone whose just pieced 124 QST units for a door curtain - BO-RING!!!! :mrgreen:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Are you trying the triangles each of the 3 possible ways each time or just going with straight of grain on the outside edge?

Um, straight of the grain?!!! :shock: I'm supposed to look at that :?: :?:

No, I just lay them out and decide which one I like best, then go for it. I have 20 done so far, so I'm calling a break and gonna go to bed.

I've finished my IRR center. My sewchine is working ok again. I guess it was temporarily possessed, but now is back to normal. But my printer is out of black ink, so I'll have to go shopping today to get a cartridge, then print my label and I'll be done. And I've finished my October doll quilt, so I'm actually slightly ahead of the curve! Whew!!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai

Um, straight of the grain?!!! :shock: I'm supposed to look at that :?: :?:
    Naaahh - I just use that as the 'default' position if I can't decide. :D

Glad your machine is behaving again, nitey nite! :D

Going to be a gorgeous quilt!!

OK so you have more done?? where is the photo??

How pretty! Perfect for a happy birthday quilt.

Ok what is a sistwerp? Is that a lilttle sister who is a twerp? Never heard the term.

That will be one very pretty and colorful quilt. Wow!

Blog Entries
    OMG!! :D What a lucky sister.
    I love the fabric you are using.
    Can't wait to see more!!
    :D :D :D :D

Very pretty! And I love the fabric you're using!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    OK so you have more done?? where is the photo??

Keep your panties on! I'm working on it! :P

I have 34 done, and 64 stacks left!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    [quote=wvdek]Ok what is a sistwerp? Is that a lilttle sister who is a twerp? Never heard the term. /quote]

Yeah, that's exactly what a sistwerp is (in an affectionate way). I borrowed the phrase from the comic strip "For Better or Worse". That's what the brother called his little sister.

Silly me ....but what does OBW stand for ?!?!!? I really like this pattern ..your doing a beautiful job !!!!!

Just beautiful. I haven't done one of these yet but I have seen a lot of them and yours is beautiful. I look forward to you posting a picture of the finished quilt. I'm sure your sister will be thrilled.

O a funnier note, I had to chuckle when you mentioned something about thighs and plastic lawn chairs. My husband keeps a few of those outside his workshop and one collapsed a few weeks ago when one of his friends visited. He didn't get hurt thank goodness and they had a good laugh about it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miz mary
    Silly me ....but what does OBW stand for ?!?!!? I really like this pattern ..your doing a beautiful job !!!!!

Mary, OBW stands for One Block Wonder. You take fabric and cut six pieces according to the pattern repeat, layer them so they are PRECISELY lined up according to the pattern (the book explains how), then cut strips, and then from the strips cut equilateral triangles. Then a block is made from six identical triangles. Each block is identical, but looks very different from the others. So, you have one fabric, one block, but a very interesting quilt! It's fun turning and rearranging the blocks to get different effects.

Those are beautiful. I love OBWs

Banned
    Blog Entries
    OK, I've got a lot more to do, but I've done quite a few. I laid them out on the bed (big mistake) where they were immediately pounced on. I'll have to clear a floor space in the spare bedroom where they won't be disturbed!

Tuffy in the wildflowers!
    Name:  Attachment-52326.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  50.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

We had a devil of a time keeping the animals away from the pieces, the landscape was on the table, the kitties loved it, we had to keep the garage closed up and the kitties out which was not easy to do my any means, then the next one had to go on the floor, and then the dogs had to stay out as well until we had them in at least strips and could be moved to the table, to see if we liked where the pieces were, I took a picture and printed it out and that way it was easier to see. being able to stand back to take a look is really hard and there is no holding it up to get a good look,

BTW, I forgot to add how great they are all looking. I love the look.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I took a picture and printed it out and that way it was easier to see. being able to stand back to take a look is really hard and there is no holding it up to get a good look, [/quote]

That's a great idea, Cutie, thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast