Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Top for another quilter >

Top for another quilter

Top for another quilter

Old 07-21-2021, 06:51 AM

Default Top for another quilter

Good day Quilters! One of the ladies in my sewing/quilting group bought this panel for her husband 3 years ago. Every once in a while before Covid she would say she may need my help with it. She has been piecing and hand quilting for years, longer than me. Anyway, since we resumed our meetings she told me again we need to get together and figure her husbands quilt top out.

I never would say too much before, because I can’t tell someone how to put together, when I don’t know myself what I’m going to do. I look at all the fabric and panel maybe for days before something comes to me.
Anyway, the last meeting she said that, I told her, “you can do this. You’ve been piecing quilts longer than I have.” ( I think she is like most in our group that doesn’t like to ‘work’ with panels- it takes a lot of math to make it fit the size you want)
So, a week or so later Lady calls us to come over they have some tomatoes to give us, from their garden. Now we are visiting outside when she says come inside I want to show you something. She has the panel and fabrics all in a bag. Says here is my panel, just take it home and whatever you come up with is fine with me.
😳
As old as I am I still am at a loss for words when it comes to pushy people. So here is the quilt top I pieced together. 5 rounds of different size borders and the row of braids. I was inspired to use braids to represent the rows of plowing done by the tractor in the panel.
I got another shock when my husband said make it ugly so she want ever want me to make another one for her!🙄😂-I can’t do that! Or at least I try not to do that-lol
Are we terrible people or what?!
Hope you are all well-❤️Toogie

ps. Maybe soon I can get back to my black & white top I put on hold….
Attached Thumbnails c08e8245-6f1b-4a7a-a3c3-5be4760d9adb.jpeg  
Old 07-21-2021, 06:54 AM

Well I"ll tell you, you did a wonderful job for not wanting to deal with a panel. That is a gorgeous piece of work!!! so pat yourself on the back and maybe she was just trying to get your quilting mind a good work out. She should love this!!!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:56 AM

Terrific work on the panel-worth a lot more than a bag of tomatoes no matter how delicious they are. Advise her to not buy anymore panels. Its hard to refuse to help friends and hard to "put on the back burner" until your own projects are finished. Obviously you are very talented and she knows that.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:57 AM

As usual, another beautiful and creative quilt. What would she say of you returned it to her with a bill? haha Sometimes when people cross the line, they need a reality check to make them aware of their rudeness. Other people wouldn't get the message if you wrote it all down for them in black and white. You've done your good deed for the woman, I just hope that she appreciates it and doesn't expect you to do it again.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:59 AM

That is a beautiful finish and we will all be waiting to see what she says when she sees it. I would be very firm when
I took it to her, that I won't do another, so for her not to get any ideas. My guess she didn't know what to put around
the panel but to push it off on you is rather forward on her part, and worth a lot more than the tomatoes she gave you.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

You sure did a great job on that panel quilt. I love French braid borders, yours was a perfect choice. Very nice for you to do this for her.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:49 AM
Power Poster

You did a fantastic job but she certainly has a nerve! I would go back to your own work and be sloooow returning it to her. Let her stew for a while and have to ask several times before giving it back.😂
Old 07-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Maybe she was giving the panel and fabric to you and didn't express it well? OK, that might be overly optimistic. If she asks about it you can always let your face fall and say oh, I thought it was a gift. Or give it back to her with a note that states how many more bags of tomatoes you are owed for your work.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:27 PM

It was definitely gracious of you to make the quilt for her, and terribly forward of her to not ask and then dump it on you unexpectedly. You did a marvelous job though and I sure hope she and her husband appreciate all the work you put into it. I would emphatically tell her it is your last "gift" however.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:34 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!

I think you might have misinterpreted her actions. You are obviously very talented and she is aware of this. Why not enjoy your talent and the ability to share it with others. I respectfully suggest you offer to teach her some techniques and perhaps do another with her. We quilters are meant to pass our skills on! JMHO