Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Trash Into Treasure >

Trash Into Treasure

Trash Into Treasure

Old 05-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

I've seen on the different Facebook pages photos of stillborn babies given to the parents wrapped in quilts such as these and it's such a kind gesture toward the parents. It gives that time needed to reflect and say good bye. Breaks my heart when I hear of stillborns and those who only live shortly after. God Bless them all.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

My niece gave birth to a 5 month old stillborn and they wrapped her in a crochet blanket and a bonnet. My niece has pictures of her baby wrapped this way. The baby was disfigured and the bonnet disguised her disfigurement. My niece was so touched by the blanket and bonnet. She has a small box with them in it. I think that people that donate items to premature and stillborn children are saints.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful little quilts for such a sad time.....Bless You.....
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
This week someone in my guild made this request:

"I'm a volunteer at the High Risk Pregnancy Ward at the hospital, and we have had a request from Labor and Delivery for small quilts and blankets. They will be used to wrap babies that have been still born when they are shown to their parents... Last year we needed about 190 blankets for this purpose."

That just about broke my heart... I had some practice quilt sandwiches that I have been trying to learn free-motion quilting. I was going to throw them away, but thought I could cut them down to the appropriate size, bind, and donate. This is the first time I've tried to put binding on with the sewing machine. I didn't know what I was doing, but I thought it would just have to do since I was on a deadline. I got one boy and four girl miniquilts for the babies.
What a WONDERFUL gesture. I love your blue quilt. So they may not be perfect or what you really wanted, but who cares, they are for a special purpose and I seriously doubt that any of the parents will notice any imperfections, just the loving thought and beautiful stitching that someone has done and the time that the giver took to do this, who also cared enough to give the parents in their time of great sorrow and tremendous loss. This will be an Angel gift for them. Unless someone has lost an infant or a child, no one truly knows what grief a couple goes through.

DH and I lost our first child, not still born, but he only lived 8 hours, but no matter how long it was, the horrible loss and grief was still there. That occurred Dec. 27, 1970, and that date and experience will always be with us and is remembered each year at that time. Losing a child is a horrible experience for any parents, and time helps ease the pain, but the loss is always there. God blessed us later with two healthy and beautiful children. So kind of you and your group to do this kind and generous act of love. You are definitely some of God's Angels here on Earth.Blessings to all of you and keep up this great work.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:20 PM

The quilts are beautiful. Thank you so for what you did. I have experienced the loss of a premature GGD and the mother still cherishes the crochet blanket that someone cared enough to make. She also had a second child that survived weighing a tiny 2 lbs and still having more heart surgeries. That made me realize the need for little caps so I got busy and crocheted a bag of little caps and now I need to make more. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:03 PM

I can't wait to get started! Thank you so very much for this wonderful idea!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 PM

beautiful job and such a great cause..
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

Your quilting is wonderful. My quilt group also makes the small quilts for the babies but thankfully we do not make so many. It is sad on the days I quilt these quilts but I know they make a difference.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 AM

What a great thing you did,well done they are beautiful.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Awesome!!!!