Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Trouble with the floral Bargello...1/2 done, but uneven at the end... >

Trouble with the floral Bargello...1/2 done, but uneven at the end...

Trouble with the floral Bargello...1/2 done, but uneven at the end...

Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by barnbum
I watched it all and you're so right--I'll be stopping in at Joanne's for some of this magical stuff!! :-D She said it doesn't work if the block is in the quilt, but I think in this case, it ought to work fine. I'll just work with the bottom row.
I thought it might as you don't really have blocks in the traditional sense - it's almost like treating your entire quilt as one big block.

And starch is readily available at your supermarket or local CVS. I use the Heavy Duty Niagra brand, but there are as many opinions on that as there are about everything else. ;) ;)

Can't wait to see the finished product.
I've never purchased the stuff, so appreciate knowing where to go. Joanne's is most likely more $$, but I do have a coupon. I have time today between leaving school half way through and a doc's appt...so I'll be able to investigate this! :-D
Old 03-24-2011, 03:43 AM

Your quilt is really beautiful! Can't wait to see it finished! I hope it blocks well. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 AM

I do mine in sections and then out them all together when they're done. It does help not to use steam when you press the seams. I noticed that when I did I did some streaching.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Originally Posted by erstan947
Others may have better ideas but I think I would get it wet and then lay a sheet on the carpet and pin the section to the size you need to be square/even and let it air dry. I'm confident you will work it out:)
Ahhh..so that's what blocking is? Thanks! I wonder if I should do it now...or wait until the rest is on? Do I just kind of squish it up into place and pin?

Ironing... yes--that's possible I stretched it. I'll be more careful!! Thanks for that reminder.
When you sew several rows of the thin strips together, they will want to curl and it is Had to get them lined up to sew. Unless you have gotten the seams off alignment (and it look like you haven't) then I think it will come out ok. I wouldn't wet , I would use spray starch. When I'm fixing something like this, I lay it out flat and pin it down as near to how it should be and spray it with starch. Gently pat is it place, let it dry and you probably won't have to use the iron on it.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 AM

It's easy to stretch these things. The way that I prevent it is to make them in quarters rather than halves and they tend to be more square. I think the colours flow nicely but would not cut it off in order to square it. I would measure through the middle as you do with most qults and thus square it up by easing it into the outside borders.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

That is going to be gorgeous!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:10 AM

When sewing the stripes together are you always sewing from top to bottom. New stripes on top of what you have sewn. If not that could be what is streching it out.It is very pretty
Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 AM

MTS - great info on the videos!- I'm going to try it on some pieced blocks I had rejected as too small/wobbly on the sides and see if I can get it to shape them up. Beats throwing out my own hard work! Thank you
Sue
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 AM

It's gorgeous - good luck in blocking it - I've never had to do that yet - but my first time is coming, I'm certain!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 AM

OH what a beautiful bargello. I have a book to do my first one soon but will remember not to stretch it and to sew from opposite sides. Thanks, you have already helped me out. Good luck with blocking it and getting it to sqsuare up. It's too lovely...