Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Trying glue basting for the first time. >

Trying glue basting for the first time.

Trying glue basting for the first time.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:46 AM
Power Poster

very nice quilt!!!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:53 PM

Flowergurl - that is such a pretty quilt! Quick question. Do you need to use a lot of glue? I am trying to picture how much is enough. I use 505 Spray, which I have loved, but am intrigued to try glue. I did use glue once when adding my binding. I dotted it along the edge and ironed the binding down, then following with sewing. Such great ideas from everyone!!
Old 04-21-2016, 03:08 PM

Love your quilt. The granddaughter will love it. I'm still not sure about glue basting.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Kool Quilt. BrendaK
Old 04-21-2016, 04:54 PM

I like your quilt and I know your granddaughter will enjoy finding things to look at in the squares. I am sold on glue basting and have done it many times. I thin my glue down with water so it makes a finer drizzle and have never had a problem quilting the projects. I am going to do one tomorrow. I saw a post somewhere to thin the glue and use a spray bottle. I am going to try it because the quilt I am working on is full size. I do not iron mine but let it lay on the table over night.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Dawnfurlong I just drizzled in wide circles. With pin basting you are only pinning down places here and there, not the whole top. Same with the glue, you needn't cover the whole top. My husband helped me with the drizzling and we had fun doing it.
Make a practice piece like a lap quilt or something to play with and see if you like it.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:41 AM

Smile

Thanks Flowergurl! Good idea, I should make a lap quilt to try it out (my next project is an almost king size quilt - so want to be sure this is for me before I venture there on such a large project). Darn, might have to go get some more fabric!!!

Originally Posted by Flowergurl View Post
Dawnfurlong I just drizzled in wide circles. With pin basting you are only pinning down places here and there, not the whole top. Same with the glue, you needn't cover the whole top. My husband helped me with the drizzling and we had fun doing it.
Make a practice piece like a lap quilt or something to play with and see if you like it.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

She should really love it. Nice to have a hubby who helps.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
Thanks Flowergurl! Good idea, I should make a lap quilt to try it out (my next project is an almost king size quilt - so want to be sure this is for me before I venture there on such a large project). Darn, might have to go get some more fabric!!!
I buy my Elmer's in gallon jugs and tried refilling a smaller bottle,, but before I was done basting my thumbs hurt really bad, so I got creative and put the glue in an old condiment bottle (remember the red, yellow, and white set for BBQs?) It works so much better and has a cap to keep it from drying out. I use the glue straight, and any large blobs I get I just smear with my finger, and it posses no problems to quilt through by machine.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 AM

What a lovely happy quilt top!