Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UFO fixed, well sort of

Blog Entries

UFO fixed, well sort of

This quilt top lingered for nearly 10 years in my UFOs. I'd forgotten why until I added borders the other day. It is all bias and I made it as a newbie quilter... so didn't know how to handle it at the time. This is the sad look of it when borders were added.

Name:  20171127 wavy borders.bmp
Views: 2454
Size:  766.4 KB

I did a little surgery on the inside of the bottom right and was not happy with the results. So I chopped off a little of the borders and just eased in the sides of the yellow. It is much better, but not good enough to make me happy. It will have to do and I hope that the quilting will ease in the center some. It will be a donation quilt.

Name:  20171129 after surgery.bmp
Views: 2455
Size:  695.7 KB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I think an all-over meander, fairly tight but not stipple, will ease it all together. I think you did a great job on fixing this.
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Very pretty, even with it's issues! Thanks for the tips on how to straighten.

DJ
    Beautiful colors. You've done well so far in fixing the issue. Hope the quilting goes well for you.

Have you tried to steam out the fullness? I do that at times while I'm quilting it when I find I have too much fullness. On one quilt I couldn't do that but was able to put a pleat right where the design would stitch down. No one was the wiser unless I showed them..............
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Power Poster
    Pretty top! I might mist the center and stretch it out on the carpet to dry anchored with pins. You did a good job fixing it.

Pretty quilt!

It's a lovely quilt. It will make someone very happy.
    Lori

Nan, I love that quilt. That's one of my favorites. I really like simple designs. I've had border issues as well. I think you have to measure the center and length, right?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    ...I think you have to measure the center and length, right?
    yes, that's right.
    Nancy in western NY
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I had one with similar issues - my Mom had made it for a sister over 35 years ago. I think she gave up on it for the same reason. I went to put in on the LA frame and realized it was not going to work.

I fixed the outer borders as best I could( lots of ripping, resizing and resewing) then quilted motifs in it, so I could ease the fullness in between the stitching. Worked out very well, and once washed, you really could not tell there was a few inches of extra fullness in the middle.

This is the quilt - after quilting. I did a motif in each pedal with no stitching going between them. I don't think I could have avoided tucks if I did a panto or something like a meander.

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-30-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    Lovely quilt, the colors are beautiful. Also consider a fluffier batting. That will help take up some of the fullness.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I had one with similar issues - my Mom had made it for a sister over 35 years ago. I think she gave up on it for the same reason. I went to put in on the LA frame and realized it was not going to work.

I fixed the outer borders as best I could( lots of ripping, resizing and resewing) then quilted motifs in it, so I could ease the fullness in between the stitching. Worked out very well, and once washed, you really could not tell there was a few inches of extra fullness in the middle.

This is the quilt - after quilting. I did a motif in each pedal with no stitching going between them. I don't think I could have avoided tucks if I did a panto or something like a meander.

thanks for the motif hint
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Lovely quilt, the colors are beautiful. Also consider a fluffier batting. That will help take up some of the fullness.
    i had thought of a fluffier batting also. thanks
    Nancy in western NY

Nan, you did it very well. Large meander or modifiable motifs might be best . Any angle mishaps are the most difficult to fix, speaking from experience here, lol!
    “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”
    ― Leonardo_da_Vinci

Blog Entries
    I think it will straighten out more when quilted and washed.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

it looks wonderful
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Cathy, that quilt is stunning!

Very pretty quilts. I find a large meander or large stipple helps. Just not stitching too close to each other. Keeping pleats or too much puckering from forming.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I’m so glad you took the time to rescue this wonderful top. The quilting may do wonders, and I hope you share pictures of the finished product.

Blog Entries
    I am so glad you fixed it...it is a beautiful quilt.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

A good fix. I love how we quilters can figure out how to make something work that at first seems like it won't work. Wonderful that you took the time to think on it and fix it best you could.

It's very pretty. I was just trying to find a solution to this the other day for a UFO of mine and happened across this video...

http://www.kellyclinequilting.com/20...top-or-border/

Watson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    It's very pretty. I was just trying to find a solution to this the other day for a UFO of mine and happened across this video...

http://www.kellyclinequilting.com/20...top-or-border/

Watson
    that's a really interesting video. it's always better to see it done instead of reading about it. thanks for sharing.
    Nancy in western NY

I'm so glad you posted this, Nan. Last night I took a border off that I know would have given me problems. I'm going to redo it.
    I have enough problems just trying to FMQ !!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast