Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Using a cricut machine to cut fabric - pictures! >

Using a cricut machine to cut fabric - pictures!

Using a cricut machine to cut fabric - pictures!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
This is very timely. Your motifs looks fabulous.

I've had a pretty complex quilt project in mind for over a year.
I have all the fabric (over 70, and counting) but I've been vacillating and procrastinating on the method I want to use for the flowers.

The Accu dies aren't quite the shape and size that I want even though I know that would be the easiest path to take. Actually, paper piecing stars would be the easiest but I'm now quite set on the flowers, and I have a certain look I want.

So here are a few questions from someone who has NEVER even been in a scrapbook aisle in any store, and has only a vague clue as to how the Cricut even works:

How can I tell the size of the flowers or is it adjustable? ******************* you can change the size of the flowers in 1/4 increments. If you have the larger cutting mat, you can go up to 11 1/2 or 11 3/4 inches. The smaller machine goes up to 5 1/2 inches with the cutting mat 6 inches.
http://www.cricut.com/shop/#0/1/1413...pe%20Cartridge

-Do you have to run it through the machine one at a time, or can you stack********************you can not stack. You can cut as many as will fit on the mat at a time. If you want them all the same size, there is a button you can push and it will automatically cut as many as will fill the mat. I have done this on paper with success. I have not tried it on fabric. Fabric does take more supervision.
-How long does each "run" take? **************** Depends on how intricate the cuts are. I would guess a few minutes?
-Are the dies on this site the only ones it can use, or are there 3rd party ones as well? (I remember reading something about a ProvoCraft(?) co - but it was regarding copyright issues. **************** only the cricut carts will work in the machine. There was a computer program (Sure Cuts A lot) that worked but Cricut shut them down I think.
-Can you design your own images and cut those?*************** You might be able to ALTER designs using the gypsy, I'm not sure, but as far as I know there is no way to create your own designs.

The reason I'm asking is I'm curious as to the time it would take to cut X of these if I were to pay someone with the machine to do it for me, assuming I bought the cartridge, and had prepared, cut, and had the fusible already fused to the fabric.

Sorry for the very, very basic questions. Thanks.
And sorry for temporarily hijacking your thread.
My apologies - I haven't been able to figure out how to change font color to add my comments so you get the ***** instead. !!! I would be happy to try out some cuts for you to see how it would work. Free of charge :) I too have a floral design in my head and would love an excuse to try it out.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:39 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow !! you are great !!! have been trying and trying !

Thanks so much !

Ell
Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
My apologies - I haven't been able to figure out how to change font color to add my comments so you get the ***** instead. !!! I would be happy to try out some cuts for you to see how it would work. Free of charge :) I too have a floral design in my head and would love an excuse to try it out.
No problem, thank you for the very informative answers. So now I have an idea of what's possible. But I do see it will be time consuming for the operator as I want 150. Although, on the larger machine, you would be able to do 8 at a time. So a couple of hours maybe.

I have the EQ colored rendition above my laptop, so I spend a lot of time staring at it. I feel like I'm getting closer.

Again, thanks so much.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Yes, I have done this recently with a quilt I made my FIL. I cut out his name with the Cricut. It worked really great! I starched my fabric first and had my heat n bond on the bottom. No problem.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-225353.jpe  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:39 AM
MTS
Banned

@Corry -
Those letters are great, and the little peek you've shown of quilt looks fantastic. Can we see the whole thing? Pretty please?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Just a FYI - I used Wonder Under on the ones I cut and I did have some air pockets between the fabric layer and the wonder under. Not good - it causes the blade to get caught on the fabric or the paper. I would stick with Heat n Bond - heat n bond lite is what was recommended by the people on youtube. I cut some letters for my DD's quilt with heat n bond and didn't get those air pockets.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Corry
Yes, I have done this recently with a quilt I made my FIL. I cut out his name with the Cricut. It worked really great! I starched my fabric first and had my heat n bond on the bottom. No problem.
Love what I can see of the quilt! What cart is this name cut from?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
@Corry -
Those letters are great, and the little peek you've shown of quilt looks fantastic. Can we see the whole thing? Pretty please?
Thank you for the kind words. I thought the letters turned out nice. I used the Heat N Bond lite.....no bubbles. Also a tip from me. When I cut out my letters I cut out a few extra ones. Make the extra letters ones that will have alot of bends like an A the K. These extra letters I pressed onto a scrap of fabric that is the same as what you will be using for your project. These letters I used for practicing my satin stitch that I did with the sewing machine. This was very beneficial as I got some practice and was all ready to make a perfect satin stitch with no "Buggers". As for my quilt. I will send in a photo tonight of the finished quilt top. It is not quilted yet but you can see what it will look like. I call this quilt Antique Cars. I bought the embroidery designs from Embroidery Library and they sewed out just perfectly. Just wonderful designs!!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM
MTS
Banned

I call this quilt Antique Cars. I bought the embroidery designs from Embroidery Library and they sewed out just perfectly. Just wonderful designs!!
Silly me. I thought they were photos on fabric. You're right - they are fabulous. Your FIL is gonna LOVE it!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:56 PM

I have a cricut expression and my fabric cutting experience was not pleasant. I bought it just for cutting fabric - I'll watch this thread to see if anyone posts a new one that I haven't tried.