Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Using Fabric Paint for Appliques

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    This is a simple technique for those that don't have alot of time or don't know how to do raw edge applique. I painted this with Tulip brand permanent washable fabric paint. It took me about 15 minutes to go around the edges of the appliques, let dry and then sew together. I have done many like this over the years.
    Attached Images Attached Images



  2. #2
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    cute, thanks for sharing!

  3. #3
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,601
    Wait-I'm having a blonde moment. Do you fuse them down? I'm reading and trying to learn applique (machine) but not doing well. Do you sew them down? Thanks!!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Wait-I'm having a blonde moment. Do you fuse them down? I'm reading and trying to learn applique (machine) but not doing well. Do you sew them down? Thanks!!
    They are fused and then I paint around the edges.

  5. #5
    Power Poster dkabasketlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    10,215
    Thanks for sharing this! You do fantastic work, Marsye!!!

  6. #6
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,956
    What a great idea. Thanks for sharing

  7. #7
    Super Member sawsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    1,688
    Blog Entries
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    This is a simple technique for those that don't have alot of time or don't know how to do raw edge applique. I painted this with Tulip brand permanent washable fabric paint. It took me about 15 minutes to go around the edges of the appliques, let dry and then sew together. I have done many like this over the years.
    What is paint make 4 your appliques? giving 3d or helps not to fry
    thanks 4 sharing always your appliques

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by sawsan
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    This is a simple technique for those that don't have alot of time or don't know how to do raw edge applique. I painted this with Tulip brand permanent washable fabric paint. It took me about 15 minutes to go around the edges of the appliques, let dry and then sew together. I have done many like this over the years.
    What is paint make 4 your appliques? giving 3d or helps not to fry
    thanks 4 sharing always your appliques
    Not sure I understand your question :?:

  9. #9
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    Thanks! Seems so easy to do!

  10. #10
    Super Member CAROLJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Rancho Mirage, CA
    Posts
    1,895
    Can it be washed or dry cleaned?

  11. #11
    Super Member rootyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Selkirk, NY
    Posts
    9,705
    Blog Entries
    1
    Cool idea!

  12. #12
    Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,704
    What a great idea! I'll have to try it!

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by CAROLJ
    Can it be washed or dry cleaned?
    Absolutely!!! Just hand wash and line dry.

  14. #14
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    These look great, and the paint makes it easier and much faster than stitching around the appliques...good idea. Even non-sewers can have appliqued projects. :thumbup:

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    I made my mother some t-shirts using my appliques years ago and she even throws them in the washer.....she still wears them and they look good.......but still I would hand wash them.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    These look great, and the paint makes it easier and much faster than stitching around the appliques...good idea. Even non-sewers can have appliqued projects. :thumbup:
    You bet! :thumbup: I have sold alot of my blocks and appliques to church groups, school groups, kids camps, etc. for kids to make. Its very simple and fast to do.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
    Thanks for sharing this! You do fantastic work, Marsye!!!
    Thank ya! :oops:

  18. #18
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,601
    Thanks, Marsye-I'm going to try this. I always like your projects-hope mine turns out.

  19. #19
    Super Member pennyswings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(
    Posts
    1,578
    Great idea, love the quilts too. thank you for sharing.

  20. #20
    Super Member quiltedlamb07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, KY
    Posts
    1,382
    very nice, and the elephants are soooo cute.

  21. #21
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    Your appliques would be perfect for tote bags, t-shirts, sweatshirts..you name it, and sure would make it easy to make a gift in a hurry.

  22. #22
    Super Member sawsan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    1,688
    Blog Entries
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Quote Originally Posted by sawsan
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    This is a simple technique for those that don't have alot of time or don't know how to do raw edge applique. I painted this with Tulip brand permanent washable fabric paint. It took me about 15 minutes to go around the edges of the appliques, let dry and then sew together. I have done many like this over the years.
    What is paint make 4 your appliques? giving 3d or helps not to fry
    thanks 4 sharing always your appliques
    Not sure I understand your question :?:
    I meant what is useful off adding paint to your work? does it make the glue work ?

  23. #23
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,200
    Blog Entries
    6
    The paint finishes the edges and keepds them from fraying. Marsye, I adore those elephants!!

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,638
    Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    The paint finishes the edges and keepds them from fraying. Marsye, I adore those elephants!!
    Thanks clem55 for explaining that. :thumbup:

  25. #25
    Super Member clem55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington,Kentucky
    Posts
    6,200
    Blog Entries
    6
    Your are welcome Funny Girl!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.