Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
valences from blocks >

valences from blocks

valences from blocks

Old 11-14-2009, 11:50 AM

I have a suggestion. Send them to me! I love them. :thumbup:
Old 11-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Can't find my pictures, so won't be posting any showing my valances.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:39 PM

. I cut thin plywood a inch wider and higher than the blocks that were sewn together to make a row,I added a small side piece to each end of the plywood so it could be attached to the wall, it was about four inches. Then I covered it with batting.Then added enough material to each end and top and bottom of the block strip to cover the bat covered board and stapled it to the board, wrapping the material to the back I then cut a piece of material to cover the staples in the back I attached it to the wall with small L brackets. Your squares are very nice and it would be great to see each one and not have them ruffled. You can add as material between the blocks that you need to fit your windows.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:00 PM

I have moved 17 times in the last 36 years and have made curtains for most of the windows in every house we ever lived in!!!

Your quilt blocks are great and I think you could make a really cute valance out of them. I would put 2" sashing between them, a bottom and top "border" about 3" and then put tab tops. Make the valance width 1 1/2 times the width of your window. They would hang nicely, yet still show off the quilt blocks. I would sew the backing on with right sides together and turn through a small opening you leave at one end. Then quilt in the ditch to give your valance some definition. I would not put batting in it if it was mine---I think it would make them too heavy looking and when you wash it, it would crinkle like a quilt does, instead of hanging smoothly (unless that is the look you want).
Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM

Great ideas ladies!!! I will try something later cleaning and straightening up my stash and it is achore. Wow I did not know I had so much fabric!!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 PM
KIT

Hi

Depending on how big they are, you could fold them one corner to the other and slide the rod through them, I did that with my granddaughters window, I made blocks with a butterfly pattern on them, sorry I don't have a picture, didn't think about it at the time. There are two small butterflies on 2 corners, just one shows but they are real cute. :D
Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 AM

I have made a Valance from three Grandmothers Flower Garden flowers. It was the first thing I quilted and it got me hooked. This will make a nice statement about you as a quilter, not only your abilities but it is also in keeping with using every scrap of fabric. :thumbup: