Old 07-17-2010, 12:00 PM

Beautiful quilt, and your father was quite handsome in his picture! :wink:
Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Dotty, love the quilt and your Dad was a cutie!! :D
Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Dad was handsome, smart, kind, loving until WW2. He came home with what we now know is PTSS. He never held a job for very long, became abusive, alcoholic. Died too young. I am happy to honor his sacrifice. We have to take good care of those who defend our freedom.
That's really sad. My Dad never wanted to talk about the war years. In fact I know very little b/c he wouldn't talk about it :(
I'm so sorry for your Dad's PTSD :(
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM

Through the Grace of God, my son returned home from his first tour with PTSS but alive with all parts.. and it was horrible. Fortunately he had a wife that wasn't about to quit on him plus a loving family that held him close to their hearts. And just when he seem as if he was just about over the hump they sent him back for the second tour.. he, too, did not discuss it, but his wife was his sounding board. When he got home he was worse then before. Each night he cried out for the ones that he couldn't save and he brought each one home. He still has his moments and even thogh his world is a much better place for him, being back to work within the Fire Dept with a promotion, that he earned, was not given, a loving wife, he's starting to get that little boy giggle back that he always had. But he still sufferes from the flash backs. Or sudden loud or strange noises. He had to carry several weapons, and his medic gear plus all the other stuff for every incident that he went out on, but he never once had to fire his gun or take a life. My boy is home and I know in my heart he will be completely home in a very short time. As with your father, the human mind can only absorb so much ugliness and it just takes over their lives. I know your father has found happiness now and when it's time for the family to be all together again, he will be the loving father that he was before he left for the hell in battle. For what it's worth, even at this late date, Dotty, I so understand.
Blue
Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Very handsome man. Beautiful quilt in his memory. What a great way to remember him. He would be very proud.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:36 PM

What a touching thing to do in memory of your DF!!! Beautiful quilt!