Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Watercolor wall hanging >

Watercolor wall hanging

Watercolor wall hanging

Old 03-25-2010, 06:16 AM

You go girl. I agree with you, the art is in the one making it. We all think of art differently. You did a super job.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:17 AM

I've told teachers for years (ever since grade school) that rules were made to be broken!!! LOL You did a fantastic job......BEAUTIFUL!
Old 03-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Very nice.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:57 AM

That is beautiful!!! :thumbup:
Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 AM

Are watercolor quilts made of fabric that is painted with watercolors? I.e., do you do the painting yourself?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by marta
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!
I have been wanting to do something with watercolors, but it will be awhile. Right now, I am trying to get some quilts done.
How did you choose the fabrics for it? That is something I would like to know about when you have a minute. You can send me a pm telling me how to go about it. I will probably make a smaller piece, since I have not ever worked with watercolor.
Marta
Thanks for the question! For this quilt, I collected some floral fabrics, some tone on tone cream colored fabric for the background, and some browns that would look like a woven basket. I used a fusible with a 2" grid marked on it. I cut all the fabric into 2" squares and then arranged them on the grid until I had a design that I liked. I just played with the placement of the floral fabrics, using the largest and most dense flowers in the center and fabrics that had fewer or smaller flowers with more vines for the outside edges. I used the browns to "weave" the basket and the handle so it looked like it went behind the flowers. Then I worked on the background, placing different tone on tone cream fabrics randomly around the basket. For the corners of the quilt I used florals again, going from lighter near the cream background and darker toward the corner. When I had all the squares on the grid, I ironed them down. Then you just fold the fusible on the marked lines and sew 1/4" from the fold. You do all the vertical folds, then clip into the seam allowance along the horizontal seams so it will fold horizontally, and then sew those seams. With this method, all the corners of the squares line up and match perfectly with no effort! It was fun to make. You can buy 2" watercolor squares already cut, but I cut my own. My girlfriend made an outdoor garden with a stone wall and a big arch with some "stone" fabric. I hope this helps!
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM

It sure is pretty. Hooray for you and doing what you wanted and not what teh teacher wanted. Maybe HST's give her trouble or something. Anyway, will you be making more?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by marta
You mentioned stack and whack. Would you share with me how to do that technique? A friend made one,and I helped her hand quilt it. Wanted to see it upon completion, but time got away and I didn't get to her house before it was sent to her sister.
Love the look of it!
Marta
Just a pm is fine.
Marta, a stack and whack is where you cut 6 or 8 pieces of fabric (depending on your pattern), stack them matching the design by putting pins through all the layers at a distinctive part of the design, say maybe the center of a flower or a tip of a leaf. When all the layers are stacked, perfectly matching, you cut whatever shape you are using (sometimes a diamond for a star, or a triangle, etc.) and then arrange each stack of matching fabric into the kaleidoscope design, star, pinwheel, whatever... then add the background for that block. There are several different patterns for stack and whack quilts. I like the 8 pointed stars made with this method.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana
Are watercolor quilts made of fabric that is painted with watercolors? I.e., do you do the painting yourself?
No, they're not painted at all, it's just floral fabrics. The "watercolor" just refers to the look that you achieve with the way you put the squares of floral fabrics together. Kinda resembles a watercolor painting.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM

Absolutely gorgeous...