Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wedding quilt now finished & back from the quilter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karenm36
    Gorgeous quilt!!! I love the colors, the design...everything!
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

So beautiful! And in such beautiful "wedding" colors! I know this will be cherished for many years to come!

my jealous bone is working ot. i have wanted to make this quilt for a long time. so so jealous beautiful job

:D That is sort of cracking me up- I am also working on a White Chocolate quilt for my son and his new wife! I guess we both have good taste! I wish that I had someone else quilt it, but I opted to quilt it on my domestic machine myself....oh boy...I am almost donenow, though. What a challenge that has been! I wasn't going to send you a picture of just the top- you already have a good idea of what it looks like. :lol: But, I did change the layout half the blocks, so it does look a little different than yours. Honestly, I 'm not sure I like it changed...it doesn't look dramatically different- would you have noticed?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Julieintheburg
    :D That is sort of cracking me up- I am also working on a White Chocolate quilt for my son and his new wife! I guess we both have good taste! I wish that I had someone else quilt it, but I opted to quilt it on my domestic machine myself....oh boy...I am almost donenow, though. What a challenge that has been! I wasn't going to send you a picture of just the top- you already have a good idea of what it looks like. :lol: But, I did change the layout half the blocks, so it does look a little different than yours. Honestly, I 'm not sure I like it changed...it doesn't look dramatically different- would you have noticed?
    Hi Julie,

How funny is this? :lol: So, misery loves company, eh? :lol: :roll: I am so glad to hear someone else say that this quilt pattern is indeed challenging. :thumbup: I was so thinking it was just me! :( Funny thing is, one of the reasons I bought it was for what I thought would be ease of piecing... you know, all straight lines.. :roll: no bizarre shapes or piecing... :lol: Well, thank you for speaking up and helping me to feel so much better about this beautiful quilt now. :thumbup: It really was a huge challenge for me. But, now that it's done, I am SO glad I stuck with it. You will be, too! :thumbup:

Your piecing is absolutely wonderful! I'm having a difficult time seeing any differences in your layout, but then, I'm a bit cross-eyed after looking at mine for such a long time! :lol:

I know that practically each kit that's bought has slightly different fabrics in it since this is such a popular one. Looks like maybe yours has more browns and less gold than mine? That is true with my dear friend here locally that has one and turned me onto this kit. It's ALL her fault! :lol: :lol:

My son and bride were married last July, so I'm a wee bit late in completing their quilt. :oops: Unfortunately, I had a nasty flare up of my MS last year that caused me some cognitive meltdown that last for several months. Ya know, when you're ripping more than your sewing.. it's time to set it aside! :cry:

They've been most patient and gracious in compliments and encouragement as I've shared progress pictures with them. That helped tremendously. :thumbup:

There was just no way I was ready to tackle quilting this one on my domestic machine. I have not mastered FMQ, and the thought of using any linear lines just didn't appeal to me. I saved and scrimped, even sold off a bunch of my fabric last year to make hiring the quilting out to a LA'er possible. I am so very pleased with the results. I chose the "Leaves & Vines" panto because they live in a serene, wooded area of the NW and would probably not want anything real fancy anyway.

Well, keep up the excellent work, hang in there and soon you will have an heirloom to be proud of, too! :thumbup: Please make sure you keep us posted on your progress. :D

Karla

Thanks for the encouragement Karla! We all know you can never have too much of that ! Take good care of yourself so you can keep on quilting. I will post pictures when I finish my FMQ. I started with stitching in the ditch to anchor the blocks first, then moved onto the FMQ. It was perhaps a bit ambitious of me to FMQ such a large quilt..the stitching isnt perfect and I can see where my quilting improves in the quilt as I went along (not exactly professional looking results) but I think once its washed and shrinks up and puckers you wont see it so much. I have done this same technique on a baby quilt and loved the results. I guess we'll see when I'm done. Keep looking for my pictures- I hope to have the quilt finished and the pics posted soon!

I didn't prewash the fabric and used Hobbs Heirloom batting. Then I washed the quilt - I love how it puckered!
    Name:  Attachment-182264.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  61.6 KB

I am using my walking foot and stitching in the ditch to "anchor" the blocks to FMQ.
    Name:  Attachment-182265.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  49.6 KB

A VERY GORGEOUS QUILT!!! The quilting is FABULOUS!!! I'm sure the recipients will be extremely happy and appreciative of the gift.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!! I love the colors and the pattern... : :D

It is very beautiful and the bride and groom will love it. A quilt with neutral colors fits any room.

Thanks for the encouragement Karla! We all know you can never have too much of that ! Take good care of yourself so you can keep on quilting. I will post pictures when I finish my FMQ. I started with stitching in the ditch to anchor the blocks first, then moved onto the FMQ. It was perhaps a bit ambitious of me to FMQ such a large quilt..the stitching isnt perfect and I can see where my quilting improves in the quilt as I went along (not exactly professional looking results) but I think once its washed and shrinks up and puckers you wont see it so much. I have done this same technique on a baby quilt and loved the results. I guess we'll see when I'm done. Keep looking for my pictures- I hope to have the quilt finished and the pics posted soon!
    Hi Julie,

I think it's so beneficial for all of us quilters when we share our high and low moments with our quilting experience. It is from those things that we learn more, receive encouragement and get to encourage others as well.

Thank you for reminding me to take care of myself. I try, but sometimes I get lost in my sewing/quilting and it takes me a while to figure out that there's a reason things are beginning to not go so well. :lol: I'm trying to back off and rest before things get there, but sometimes... :roll:

I'm having a hard time seeing your FMQ'ing on the beautiful quilt that you're done with below your White Chocolate. I'd love to see a close up or two of your work if you'd be willing to share. If you posted about this quilt earlier, I must've missed it and would love to see more of it. That is one adorable and lovely quilt, Julie. I have some of those same fabs, love almost anything from Debbie Beaves. Nicely done! :thumbup:

I'll be interested to see how my White Chocolate looks once it's washed and dried. Amazing how doing so can change the look so much sometimes. I just LOVE Hobbs Heirloom batting and that's what I use the most and what my WC has, too. They wash up so nice. My LAer encouraged me to think about "how crinkly and antique-y" the kids might want their quilt to be and to prepare my batting accordingly before I had her quilt it. I thought that was a wonderful idea, so decided to preshrink the batting a bit by spritzing it with a water bottle and putting it in the dryer to dry it. Since I wasn't sure what the kids wanted the final outcome to be, thought I'd be safe and preshrink it a 'bit', but not a lot, as in putting the batting in the washer to shrink. What do you do to prep your batting?

Here's the only pic I have of me putting in the final stitches.

Thanks for sharing your experiences too,

Karla

Putting in the final stitches on the quilt top - Yay!
    Name:  Attachment-182315.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  29.2 KB

The Debbie Beaves quilt was a kit too. I seem to be on a kit kick lately- we live in a rural area and while we have a really nice local quilt shop, I really love the convenience of kits when I am pressed for time! I also love the variety we can find on line! On this quilt I used the walking foot for the long curving lines outlining the "butterfly" shapes, then did sort of a scrolling design on the rest of the quilt and outline quilted the floral design on the border with a daisy- fmq. That was fun and turned out to be really easy! I hope the picture of the back helps you see the fmq. This was my first quilt to use fmq and as I went along, the scrolls (or curlicues) sort of got smaller and tighter. I read in one of my free motion books that was a common problem for a lot of quilters which made me feel a little bit better. I love the picture of you at your sewing machine- it warms my heart. You go girl!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I really like the the wrinkly crinkly look, so I didn't do anything to prepare the fabric or the batting- I did check the fabric to be sure that it didnt run, but that was it. I figured that since this quilt was for a baby that it would be frequently washed anyway, so I said what the heck and went for it! Washing it totally changed its appearance. I put it on air dry only in the dryer, since this is Oregon and it was raining the day I washed it- no out on the clothesline that day! (it seems it rains all year except for the summers :D)

The Debbie Beaves quilt was a kit too. I seem to be on a kit kick lately- we live in a rural area and while we have a really nice local quilt shop, I really love the convenience of kits when I am pressed for time! I also love the variety we can find on line! On this quilt I used the walking foot for the long curving lines outlining the "butterfly" shapes, then did sort of a scrolling design on the rest of the quilt and outline quilted the floral design on the border with a daisy- fmq. That was fun and turned out to be really easy! I hope the picture of the back helps you see the fmq. This was my first quilt to use fmq and as I went along, the scrolls (or curlicues) sort of got smaller and tighter. I read in one of my free motion books that was a common problem for a lot of quilters which made me feel a little bit better. I love the picture of you at your sewing machine- it warms my heart. You go girl!
    This is my first full kit. I've done a few BOM that came in a kit for each month. Those have all gone well.

We live in a rural mountain community, so I'm in the same boat as you, sounds like.

Thank you so much for adding your close up picture of the quilt back, showing off your beautiful quilting! I just LOVE the quilting you have done on that quilt!! In fact, you have inspired me with your butterflies!! :thumbup: I am just ready to start the quilting on a baby quilt for our 8th grandchild and was wondering what in the world I was going to do for the quilting. Hmm, I'd love to know more about them if you wouldn't mind sharing some details like what pattern you used to draw them or by what method you marked your quilt. Getting to do something like that with a walking foot really sounds great about now. :thumbup: Since this quilt is for a boy, maybe the daisies wouldn't be the thing to do, but butterflies? Why not? :D

Karla

what a great wedding gift - this quilt will be passed down through generations.

Gosh- if you look at the front of the baby quilt, you will see that the gently curving lines sort of bi-sect the long "half-rectangle squares" that make up the butterfly wings. I just started the stitching at the point of the wings at the edge of the quilt and ran down the center of the "wings", then curved through the center of the 4 patch that made up the body of the butterfly, curved again through the center of the wings through the point of the triangle and continue across the quilt til I reached the other edge. Does that make sense? It is hard to explain without actually showing you...I just followed the way the quilt was pieced. The quilting you can see on the back that looks like the little butterfly body I fmq. If it would help, I can find the picture of the pattern, photocopy it, draw the quilting path, take a picture and post it?

I like to copy the pattern picture of the quilt in black and white then try different quilting designs. I avoid marking the quilt at all costs- I'm too lazy! I just tried to keep my stitching centered on each patch as I sewed over them with my walking foot.
    Name:  Attachment-182418.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  56.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Beautiful!

Gosh- if you look at the front of the baby quilt, you will see that the gently curving lines sort of bi-sect the long "half-rectangle squares" that make up the butterfly wings. I just started the stitching at the point of the wings at the edge of the quilt and ran down the center of the "wings", then curved through the center of the 4 patch that made up the body of the butterfly, curved again through the center of the wings through the point of the triangle and continue across the quilt til I reached the other edge. Does that make sense? It is hard to explain without actually showing you...I just followed the way the quilt was pieced. The quilting you can see on the back that looks like the little butterfly body I fmq. If it would help, I can find the picture of the pattern, photocopy it, draw the quilting path, take a picture and post it?
    Julie,

That it TOTALLY awesome!! :thumbup: Guess I need to learn to print out a B/W pic too, to take advantage of using the shapes that are already there. WOW! I'm really jazzed at what you've done here. :D

Since I have no experience at this kinda thing, a favor I would ask of you is to look at my baby quilt pic and maybe offer up some ideas for me as to how I might best take advantage of what I have to work with. Are you up for that?

Thanks so very much,

Karla

No Waste Windmill baby quilt
    Name:  Attachment-182429.jpe
Views: 13
Size:  55.4 KB

That is darling and the colors are so yummy! Love this quilt! I think curved lines of some sort would look great and create some movement. Circles would be neat, but could be tricky to quilt......let me look at it some more and think about it. Could you email me the picture of the quilt? I think if you click on Julieintheburg it will give you my profile info and from there you can select PM- private message. I would like to print out the picture and look at it for a whle...

beautiful!!

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is darling and the colors are so yummy! Love this quilt! I think curved lines of some sort would look great and create some movement. Circles would be neat, but could be tricky to quilt......let me look at it some more and think about it. Could you email me the picture of the quilt? I think if you click on Julieintheburg it will give you my profile info and from there you can select PM- private message. I would like to print out the picture and look at it for a whle...
    Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for your compliment and suggestion. You're such a sweetie. :D Something non linear was exactly what I was thinking, but wasn't sure how do with a walking foot.

I'll send you a PM now. :D

Karla

My pleasure! It's fun to think that I may be able to help somehow!

My pleasure! It's fun to think that I may be able to help somehow!
    Thank you, Julie. Much appreciated! :D

Karla

This is a really pretty quilt. I live the colors. Very chic

Power Poster
    Nice job! Beautiful quilt!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast