Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......wavy borders!! >

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......wavy borders!!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......wavy borders!!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:54 AM

There are so many comments that have been made that I wanted to respond to...lol This has really been a lwearning process for me. Thank you so much to all of you for taking the time to encourage me and help me. It is no wonder that my borders are wavy cause from all the comments I have learned about a dozen reasons that are most likely contributing to be the case here. I feel much better about it though. I have already took the bottom border off. I am most likely going to do away with that mitered border and add a block on each corner. It is funny because to begin with I had seen a quilt that they had a black bear claw coming out from the corner facing the center of the quilt. I thought it would look cool with the jagged black border I already have going on here but then at the end decided to just go with the mitered corner cause I wanted to get it done. Well I am going to go ahead and do that bear claw in the corners and do away with the mitered border and see how that works out. There are alot of other things I am going to look at in the process as the mitering is not my only problem. The way this fabric is printed I did have to cut the border fabric across the grain so I could have the horses running along the sides of the quilt. I most definately have probably stretched it. Is it possible to salvage this fabric and take it off, repin and sew it on again and still get my border right or do I need to buy more fabric? Boy have I learned a heap of wisdom from this group...now to apply it. I can't thank ya'll enough. Corry
Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 AM

I would not miter the corners. Use the measure in 3 places and take the average measurement and make your borders that length. Also if you cut your borders on the straight grain it won't pull as much. I'd take the borders off and do it over otherwise you will never be happy with it.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 AM

It's very pretty. Just seam rip that border just past that spot. Lay out and see where extra fabric is. Adjust and resew seam and miter. Might work
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 AM

Should I reuse the same border pieces or cut new ones? I can't cut the fabric with the length as the design doesn't go that way.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

You can definitely use the same border pieces. First use starch and press them being sure they are absolutely flat. I think you are right in taking off the border and re-doing. It's always easier to fix a problem at the stage it occurred than to try to take care of it somewhere along the line. (Learned that the hard way, several times.)
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I think it looks great.. Anyhow when horses trot in the water waves are formed. I would just say you intentionally give it a realistic look. That's my story and I would stick to it.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:52 AM

I did want to tell you what I do. When using multiple borders, I do not miter every one but every other one. I have better success at that. See my last quilt under "pictures- My best quilt yet.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:08 PM

I have found if I press after I sew the borders on they stretch and get wavy. I no longer press the borders.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Hi, I am not a veteran quilter but have sewn for over 47 years. One thing I have learned that applies to anything sewn is--the bias of material. If you have cut your borders where the bias is along the edge, it is going to stretch when sewn, just the nature of the critter, lol. Take each side and top and bottom of border and gently pull on them to see if they stretch. Chances are the top and bottom are the stretchiest ones, remove them and cut new ones making sure they are not cut on the bias. Some fabrics stretch more across grain then with the grain. Use the one that stretches the least and when sewing, try not to pull, in fact use of more pins to hold it would be the best way to make sure you don't stretch it out. Hope this helps. It is an absolutely beautiful quilt and deserves the attention to finish it up.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
You can definitely use the same border pieces. First use starch and press them being sure they are absolutely flat. I think you are right in taking off the border and re-doing. It's always easier to fix a problem at the stage it occurred than to try to take care of it somewhere along the line. (Learned that the hard way, several times.)
I agree, you should be able to use the same fabric. I think your idea of a corner bear claw square would look good. Don't worry, it will all come out OK and you will love it!