Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Real 15 clone please stand up

Blog Entries
    I now have 2 15s and 1 clone, so will post pics after I get them cleaned up and presentable!! They are all 3 in need of cleaning. Another week, maybe. I love all these girls!!!

Blog Entries
    RANT WARNING....
    You know whether it is free, $15, $30 or $150 and all slicked up and in good working condition with new wiring doesn't really matter - some of you would pay a whole bunch more money for a brand new machine that won't hold up near as well as one of these. Just the fact that they are still around and in working order should tell you a lot. These are environmentally friendly - not going to a land fill in a couple years. I bet if you adjust for inflation people were spending a whole lot more money for them when they were new. I've not seen real many free or $15 machines in pristine condition. I've seen some real nice worked over machines for $150 or less - what a bargain - a worked over machine for $150. You can't buy a $15 machine and take it anywhere and have it worked over. End of Rant
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats View Post
    My Riccar 310B is a 15 clone. Love the pea soup green! It always reminds me of Grandad's old Chevy.
    very nice Riccar - 'Runs like a Sewing Machine'

Here is a picture of my model 15 clone. I bought it because of the color. I have another one almost like this one that is a butter cream color. I hope the picture comes through--it failed the last 2 times I've tried.

Nope....it didn't work
    Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 11-06-2011 at 03:26 PM.
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    Here is a picture of my model 15 clone. I bought it because of the color. I have another one almost like this one that is a butter cream color. I hope the picture comes through--it failed the last 2 times I've tried.

Nope....it didn't work
    This new format wants you to resize your picture - I couldn't do it either.

Well, I tried again by taking pictures with my other camera that uses less pixels and it worked on the thread where you can test putting pictures. Let's see if it works now

The picture should be of my 15 clone....a Brother in a delicious aqua/turquoise color. I bought it just because I wanted one this color plus, after buying an Atlas (also a Brother) from Billy, I fell in love with the vintage clones and all of their wonderful colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    Here is my Sew Eze...a true 15 Clone. Still working on the tension assembly...it seems "off" somehow. The little wire is wrong, and it keeps catching the thread coming down from the take up arm. But she'll be a real prize as soon as I can get that worked out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Here is my Sew Eze...a true 15 Clone. Still working on the tension assembly...it seems "off" somehow. The little wire is wrong, and it keeps catching the thread coming down from the take up arm. But she'll be a real prize as soon as I can get that worked out.
    I had that same problem - here is a link might help - look at 'tension mechanism' http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/ I just ordered a spring from sew-classic for .79 - can't beat that.

Blog Entries
    Well, I tried again by taking pictures with my other camera that uses less pixels and it worked on the thread where you can test putting pictures. Let's see if it works now

The picture should be of my 15 clone....a Brother in a delicious aqua/turquoise color. I bought it just because I wanted one this color plus, after buying an Atlas (also a Brother) from Billy, I fell in love with the vintage clones and all of their wonderful colors.
    Love that color!!!

Blog Entries
    The manual is not real clear how to thread the tension. Maybe someone will post a picture of how that tension should be threaded correctly. Please use string or something that will show up real nice. Be sure to put the needle in the machine the correct way too. (ask me how I know)

Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Here are a couple of pics of how your tension might need to be. I haven't actually sewn with this machine yet but this is how it came to me. It looks like the little wire is over on the other side of the tensioner. Maybe yours is on the wrong side.

ETA: Now that I look at mine, so closely, it looks like my little wire is upside down!! I'll have to see if I have the manual to mine

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 11-21-2011 at 05:57 AM.
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    Here are a couple of pics of how your tension might need to be. I haven't actually sewn with this machine yet but this is how it came to me. It looks like the little wire is over on the other side of the tensioner. Maybe yours is on the wrong side.
    yes it needs tension attention. Here is the best link I have found on tension repairs. http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf

The spring should be on the other side. Thread goes around the tension, through the spring and around the bar to the take up lever and back down.

Blog Entries
    I have another clone that I am needing to get the tension fixed. It came with out a tension. I tried to cobble something together out of spare parts. I'm wondering how that little pin in the center of the tension really goes, inside the mess and out the back or in the back through the tension. Which end of the pin goes out? Which end goes in? Doesn't the little pin hit the take up lever and activate the tension. Mine doesn't move at all. So I keep taking it apart and putting it together a different way. I haven't done the math yet but there must really be a lot of combinations how that thing could go. One day it will work. I got the machine to work with a different nose plate though - so I know it is something I'm not getting right. Usually I can put a tension together no problem - specially if I see it come apart, lay the pieces out in some kind of order and re-assemble in the same order. Getting the tension spring in right can be a trick and that pin going right - I do know you have to have one. That was one areal where the manual assumes I know more than I do. A lot of it is fiddling with it until it works.

my first clone!

I think this is a clone 15, but not sure! All that needs to be done is it needs a new cord. Otherwise it is beautiful! It is an Eau Claire De Luxe. The numbers on the front bottom say E5621727 with an M circled. If anyone can give me some information on it that would be great. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by krista View Post
    I think this is a clone 15, but not sure! All that needs to be done is it needs a new cord. Otherwise it is beautiful! It is an Eau Claire De Luxe. The numbers on the front bottom say E5621727 with an M circled. If anyone can give me some information on it that would be great. Thank you.
    Looks like a clone to me - who knows when it was made. probably a little later one because it isn't black. Don't you just love the color? I love the way those do FM

I agree! I love the color of the clones. I love the decals on the older machines. They are just beautiful! I wish they still made machines that way instead of basic white.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Looks like a clone to me - who knows when it was made. probably a little later one because it isn't black. Don't you just love the color? I love the way those do FM

Blog Entries
    Muv has another video - this time is is about threading a Singer 15 - it also applies to the Japanese 15 clones!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tii...re=uploademail get yourself a nice cup of tea and enjoy!!!
    Thank you Muv!

Seam Master 15 clone

My 15 clone is a Seam Master...it has a white faceplate, which I've never seen before.
    Lynn

My new Commander. Made for Sears (Simpsons in Canada), tag says model #148.270. The pillar says C.M.K. over the Made in Japan.

-Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Blog Entries
    yes it needs tension attention. Here is the best link I have found on tension repairs. http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...echanism_2.pdf

The spring should be on the other side. Thread goes around the tension, through the spring and around the bar to the take up lever and back down.
    oops that is wrong - there is a delightful video on here by Muv - please watch it - she has the correct threading for the clones.

Blog Entries
    here is my Emmerson... I have no information about her, just the model number. A 109157 brass plate says...DELUX the machine that satisfies, made in Japan. If you have any information on her, like when she was born, I'd love to know! thanks...

she is in need of a super good cleaning. I dusted her off, but have not been able to take her apart and do a proper cleaning. That will have to wait until I get a digital camera at least. Plugged her in when I got her so I know she works, but I have not threaded her yet. She came without a bobbin case, but my other bobbin cases fit so that's ok. She was a gift from a friend... my first vintage and free!

Name:  Emmerson resize.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  194.1 KB
    I quilt for my sanity!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim Bohannon View Post
    here is my Emmerson... I have no information about her, just the model number. A 109157 brass plate says...DELUX the machine that satisfies, made in Japan. If you have any information on her, like when she was born, I'd love to know! thanks...

she is in need of a super good cleaning. I dusted her off, but have not been able to take her apart and do a proper cleaning. That will have to wait until I get a digital camera at least. Plugged her in when I got her so I know she works, but I have not threaded her yet. She came without a bobbin case, but my other bobbin cases fit so that's ok. She was a gift from a friend... my first vintage and free!

Name:  Emmerson resize.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  194.1 KB
    Check out Janie Doe, the 15 clone - We only know her table had a date in it - Yours no doubt is older than Janie just because she's black. Here is a link to Janie: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html I think there are some links for manuals on there too.

Blog Entries
    Another Belaire clone
    Name:  December 25, 2011 005 small.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  192.1 KB

Another Belaire clone
    Name:  December 25, 2011 005 small.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  192.1 KB
    Looks like an old car radio. I LOVE the clones!!
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    That Belaire looks like an old car dashboard doesn't it - you can't see the tension - I should have taken a pic of the end of the machine - it has it's own corner for the tension and the light is in the bump out. The punch buttons are to adjust the feed dogs for FM!!! I sold that machine to a guy who came to buy a machine for his wife for Christmas - he took a look at this one and had to have it too. Cracks me up.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast