Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Wonder who made this sweet quilt?

That is beautiful. So glad you rescued it.

Blog Entries
    As I read this and looked at the pictures, my first thought was to the baby. Did the baby pass away and the parents donate all of the baby clothes to help the healing process? One man's junk is another man's treasure. Was the downsizing necessary because of a move? I'm with lots of you, I want to know the story behind the quilt and family.

I to am/have made quilts to donate. I just want to try another pattern and then I pray over the quilt and donate it away.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

I'm glad you rescued it. I still have my son's baby quilt that was a gift.

Isn't that sweet? Thanks for showing us that great bargain and lovely baby quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
    I stopped in at a small local thrift shop today and found this adorable lavendar gingham baby quilt! The hand quilting is outstanding and I am sure it has never been washed! It makes me wonder what the story behind it is. Someone put a lot of love into the stitching. I couldn't leave it there- it looked lonely. The back is solid white with gingham binding. Just wanted to share. Cost me a whole $3.00.
    Oh so beautiful. Thrift shops are awesome. You were so lucky!!
    Live, love, laugh, pray

I'm sure there is a story, but nice that you found it and gave it a home. If only we could track what our quilts mean to the people who receive them. The untold stories. In the goodwill store, it was meant for someone to enjoy.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Blog Entries
    that is so cute.

Maybe the baby it was meant for died? When Amy, my dd died I gave all of her things away. I couldn't bear to keep them.
    Or the person that got the quilt didn't like it?
    Last edited by purplefiend; 08-19-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Power Poster
    its so cute glad you got it.
    QUILTNMO

Power Poster
    Very cute little quilt. Glad you were able to save it.

what a treasure...why don't eople cherish such things?

A beautiful rescue I love the animals in the gingham. It's so cute I wonder what the story behind it is. Sue

That is so cute and a fabulous bargain.........

You found a real gem, glad it got a good home.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    What a lovely, sweet quilt. It makes me sad to see that someone did not treasure this, I am so very glad you rescued it. So much work and love went into making this. It is just a darling quilt.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

The person who put a $3 price tag on that was clueless! Lucky you!
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    That's a keeper,sweet quilt .

I'm so glad it has a good home. It looks sweet.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillnjo View Post
    I stopped in at a small local thrift shop today and found this adorable lavendar gingham baby quilt! The hand quilting is outstanding and I am sure it has never been washed! It makes me wonder what the story behind it is. Someone put a lot of love into the stitching. I couldn't leave it there- it looked lonely. The back is solid white with gingham binding. Just wanted to share. Cost me a whole $3.00.
    This is morbid thinking, but I have a strange feeling that something happened to the baby or the financial situation of the family. If the baby is gone, then they may not want to have reminders. If the money is all gone, they may hope to sell a few things to get what they need. If you take the quilt and love it or pass it on to someone who will, it will have its original purpose met.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

--This is morbid thinking, but I have a strange feeling that something happened to the baby --

I had not thought of that. It could have been a sad situation that made it find its way to this place. Or, maybe it was some time ago and the baby is all grown up...
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

So sweet~~!
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i again feel i need to weigh in- i have made some pretty wonderful quilts to donate to goodwill, challenge mountain, the women's resource center- hoping someone who does not have alot of funds will find them & want to take them home & have something special-
    just because it was found in a thrift store does not mean it was (thrown away) , neglected, un-appreciated,
    i know i am not the only quilter out there who donates beautiful quilts to thrift stores on a fairly regular basis...i really never thought doing so would (induce) such negative opinions toward whom ever donated a (rescued) treasure. I donate them hoping the person who finds & buys it simply can not afford to shop elsewhere- but certainly deserves beautiful quality items to provide their families/babies/kids with.
    It is very possible something like this happened. The shop I found it at is run and operated by a church here in the area. I may ask the nice woman who runs the store when I stop back in. You are doing a wonderful thing to make and distribute quilts to shops like this. I heard the shoplady telling that next Sat., she would have a free clothing day for anyone who needs children's clothes. And she has a clean and nice shop. My mother saw this quilt and couldn't believe how lovely it is-she said it would make a great gift and it would, but I'm in love with it! I think it might need a baby, too!

I had to edit this so you all would understand I won't be having the baby for the quilt!!
    Last edited by jillnjo; 08-20-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    jillnjo

Good for you !!! I too am just blown away by such beautiful things like this that are discarded. The stitching is so tiny and perfect and the pattern is precious. The person that made it was truly talented and it is so sad that it was not kept as a family heirloom. But I am thrilled for you to rescue it - ENJOY.

What a wonderful $3 purchase, I am so glad it has found a home who appreciates it.

Power Poster
    Oh, how adorable! Bless your heart!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3