Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Working with your own designed fabric

Hi, I have been playing with bleach discharge making yardage for quilts and wallhangings. Hope to inspire some surface design quilters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's really nice! I like it! :D

Let me get this straight ... You are painting on bleach to cause the design to happen, and then thread art?

This is very nice indeed! Thought provocing.

Your design looks absolutely beautiful....quite ethereal. One question though, does using bleach weaken the fabric at all, and would the whitened areas yellow after time? Sorry, that's two questions, but I am a bit bleach phobic....

Oh Wow! That is amazing! I LOVE it!!!

Earthwalker, Dharma Trading sells a product that stops the bleach and prevents problems.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...chemicals.html

I've used the Clorox gel cleaners before - they stay in place well. I'm always surprised with black - some brands come out purple or bluish, depending on the colors they mixed to get black.

I love that thread painting, it turned out great!

Blog Entries
    I love it.

Blog Entries
    That looks great! What a clever idea.

Blog Entries
    Stunning!!! Gorgeous!!! Original!!!! :D :D :D
    You have inpired me to try this now!!! 8) 8) 8)

I have used bleach to reverse tye die 100% cotton sweatshirts and tshirts...they were not treated with any chemical and have held up well in the washer and dryer for 5 years now... so I would have to assume that using a product to neutralize the bleach would help the fabric last even longer :wink:

COOL

That's done with bleach!? - Wonderful. The only thing I get from bleach is marks on my dark clothes! :roll:

Very pretty!!

I love it.... :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    I have used bleach to reverse tye die 100% cotton sweatshirts and tshirts...they were not treated with any chemical and have held up well in the washer and dryer for 5 years now... so I would have to assume that using a product to neutralize the bleach would help the fabric last even longer :wink:
    What does reverse tye dye mean?

I've seen some stunning works done on plain black fabric, with a paint brush and gel bleach. Funnily enough, over here it's a toilet bleach that works best, it's a nice thick gel that doesn't "bleed" into other areas, it stays where it's put with a fine paintbrush.

The fabric is washed afterwards, so the bleach shouldn't weaken the fabric, it only strips the colour and is then removed.

:-)

Love it!

That is absolutely stunning. I love what you did. My kind of art quilt.

That's awesome!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    What does reverse tye dye mean?
    You take a 100% cotton colored fabric or garment and tie it it (like you normally would) only you soak it in bleach instead of dye. The results are much like what you see in this beautiful quilt. You never know for sure what color you will end up with on the bleached fabric. Just like the quilt, the fabric close to the strings is the original, but the bleached part is the surprise. If you get a bleached spot on a shirt or sweat pants, it is a good way to salvage them :wink: That is how I started out :oops:

I keep coming back to this picture and the ideas and inspirations are numerous!!! WOW!!! :D :D :D

Thanks Moonpi, will check it out....Blue Chicken I like the toilet bleach idea, sounds like you would have much more control over the process and less scope for disaster...my family think I am mad enough already, once I start heading off outside with plastic dropsheets, toilet bleach, paintbrush and fabric, that will no doubt confirm it!

Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Thanks Moonpi, will check it out....Blue Chicken I like the toilet bleach idea, sounds like you would have much more control over the process and less scope for disaster...my family think I am mad enough already, once I start heading off outside with plastic dropsheets, toilet bleach, paintbrush and fabric, that will no doubt confirm it!
    LOL

I had a go this morning on a couple of scraps... the bleach is actually not as strong as I thought, so you have quite a lot of control over it. A decent paintbrush is a must though, I borrowed one of the kid's ones and it was a bit stiff.

Not sure if you guys get the Bam brand over there? They do a gel bleach, in the household cleaners section, which is a bit stronger than the toilet one I think. I'm going to score a bottle tomorrow and have another go.

Banned
    wow! what a neat idea, it sure is pretty

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gorgeous! My Girl Scout troop has done projects with Colorox pens on jeans but I never thought of it in a quilt! Great idea.

Yes, I do believe Bam is available here....I am usually a bicarb and vinegar chick when it comes to cleaning....with a small bottle of tea-tree oil or disinfectant if things get a little crazy...Bleach just seems really subversive as I am a bit of a "greenie"..

Very nice!!!
    And I love your avatar! :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast