Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
You don't need a longarm to do a pantograph >

You don't need a longarm to do a pantograph

You don't need a longarm to do a pantograph

Old 06-04-2023, 10:27 AM

Default You don't need a longarm to do a pantograph

Here is my latest finished quilt top completed. I used Nemesh's Feather Grande from urban elementz; traced it on the backing of the quilt using a light box and Crayola Ultra-Clean fine tipped markers and quilted it from the back with So Fine light lavender thread. Here is the result. If you decide you want to try this, just be aware of the throat size of your machine and how wide the design of the panto is. This design was 13.5" wide and my Tiara has a 16" throat space. Keep in mind that the unfinished or quilted part of the quilt under the machine (especially when you are quilting the "middle" of the quilt), takes up space and your ability to maneuver. Here is April Showers finally quilted. I started piecing it during my retreat the end of April.
resized-panto-picture.jpg resized-quilting-april-showers.jpg resized-april-showers-completed.jpg

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 06-04-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:47 AM

that looks lovely. Great job. When i got my Janome i never gave the throat space any notice. Regret that.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:56 AM

This is encouraging news. I have 18 inches on my manuel longarm and usually stitch a stipple or meander free hand. I usually make bed size quilts but I am needing to make 3 baby quilts so this would be good practice for me. So did you trace a design off monitor or buy a design for your machine? Thanks
Quilting looks fantastic and quilt is pretty as well. Also did you use same color bobbin as top thread? I can never decide on thread color.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:34 AM

Great work! That's amazing! You can do some incredible work on a domestic machine if you put your mind to it and you don't have to dedicate a lot of space like you do with a longarm.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
This is encouraging news. I have 18 inches on my manuel longarm and usually stitch a stipple or meander free hand. I usually make bed size quilts but I am needing to make 3 baby quilts so this would be good practice for me. So did you trace a design off monitor or buy a design for your machine? Thanks
Quilting looks fantastic and quilt is pretty as well. Also did you use same color bobbin as top thread? I can never decide on thread color.
I purchased a panto online and then used my light box to trace onto the lightest side of the quilt (in this case it was the back) PRIOR to sandwiching!
I don't have a large embroidery machine to download a design, and my Tiara is a sit down quilting only machine. This time I used a light lavender in both the top and bottom, but I have used a different color. You just have to make sure your tension is good so the opposite color doesn't poke through. A baby quilt would be perfect to start with as you won't have to make so many passes with the design.
I've had a few quilts professionally quilted and they did a lovely job, however I am too prolific to afford to have them all done by a longarmer. I have good control and can follow a line well. I actually practiced on kid panel quilts as I could follow the lines, like a coloring book. Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2023, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

There used to be a post here about how to set up your machine to face sideways and use it like a long arm. I am thinking they used f styrofoam to fill in the spots to make it level like a table. I wish I knew what the title of the post was to direct you. It looked really functional to quilt with.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:25 PM

Looks fantastic. You did a great job.
Old 06-05-2023, 02:30 AM

Thank you for all your tips and tricks. One question on the markers....in your experience, is there a color to avoid?
Old 06-05-2023, 02:48 AM

I've traced a panto before with the use of my light box, works great for smaller quilts (baby, toddler) and table runners. Not sure I would ever want to do it for a larger bed quilt as it is so time consuming to me. Plus my Janome only has an 11 inch throat and so I have to buy the smallest sized panto or have one reduced so I can use it.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:06 AM

Your quilting is amazing! Very encouraging for me. My sit down Q16 is new and so is the process. I've traced with rulers on small projects before, never with red markers, but, I want to use a meander template that requires chalk?. Any help for this newbie? I am very nervous about quilting a whole quilt.